• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Polish Diamond Plate Aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Polish Diamond Plate Aluminum

Well, I have a G100, and I have a dirty dull diamond plate toolbox. I was wondering if anyone has tried polishing diamond plate with it?? I have the 9006 cutting pad, which will never touch my paint so I thought it may work on Diamondplate. If it gets chewed up, thats ok.
    I have tried jewelers rouge in the past and it gets very expensive (and dangerous) with the high speed drill, cutting wheels etc. Trying to hold a 5,000 RPM makita very still on a diamond plate toolbox is dangerous. Especially with a 9" stitched cutting wheel I dont want to chase the makita down the street or even worse, chase it off of my truck's paint)

Any experience here on Diamondplate/G100 polishing??

Thanks
    http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Re: How to Polish Diamond Plate Aluminum

Originally posted by Hannibal
    Well, I have a G100, and I have a dirty dull diamond plate toolbox. I was wondering if anyone has tried polishing diamond plate with it?? I have the 9006 cutting pad, which will never touch my paint so I thought it may work on Diamondplate. If it gets chewed up, thats ok.
    I have tried jewelers rouge in the past and it gets very expensive (and dangerous) with the high speed drill, cutting wheels etc. Trying to hold a 5,000 RPM makita very still on a diamond plate toolbox is dangerous. Especially with a 9" stitched cutting wheel I dont want to chase the makita down the street or even worse, chase it off of my truck's paint)

Any experience here on Diamondplate/G100 polishing??

Thanks
    I have the 9006 cutting pad[/B]
    Do you mean the 7006 Cutting Pad?

Meguiar's W-7006 Foam Cutting Pad

Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

OOPS Yes thats the one. I am going to pull the truck into the garage tonight and break out my New DA. I was going to try #83 with the 7006 cutting pad on the diamond plate.

Any thoughts??
      http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal
        OOPS Yes thats the one. I am going to pull the truck into the garage tonight and break out my New DA. I was going to try #83 with the 7006 cutting pad on the diamond plate.

Any thoughts??
        I'd say it can't hurt anything. If it does not work you could try NXT Metal Polysh next time around.
        Jeff Smith

Comment

Curious how the DA works for you on the diamond plate

I've used a foam attachment that fits on the end of a drill. It's sold by a company other than Meguiar's. It works well with All Metal Polish M28.

I've also used a rotary, wool pad, and All Metal Polish. That can get results, but it gets a bit messy with the ridges kicking up both polish and wool lint.
          See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

I see the Marine+RV Line also has a metal polish:

NXT Generation All Metal Polysh

NXT Generation All Metal Polysh

All Metal Polish

Jeff Smith

Comment

Hey,

Sorry to say it, but from my experience with polishing aluminum, using a G100 and a W-7006 will not work very well. Polishing aluminum requires higher speeds, a rotary buffer and a wool pad. And even then, it is almost impossible to remove swirls/brush marks in aluminum using a rotary or orbital tool. Commercial airlines use a special drum polisher to create a flawless finish.

Another thing, some diamond plate tool boxes are coated. They usually clean up very well with just a QD. If you aggressively buff it, you can wear the finish off the box which means you will be buffing the box more often.

Here is a link to my aluminum boat write-up:

Tim
              Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                Hey,

Sorry to say it, but from my experience with polishing aluminum, using a G100 and a W-7006 will not work very well. Polishing aluminum requires higher speeds, a rotary buffer and a wool pad. And even then, it is almost impossible to remove swirls/brush marks in aluminum using a rotary or orbital tool. Commercial airlines use a special drum polisher to create a flawless finish.

Another thing, some diamond plate tool boxes are coated. They usually clean up very well with just a QD. If you aggressively buff it, you can wear the finish off the box which means you will be buffing the box more often.

Here is a link to my aluminum boat write-up:

Tim
                Sounds like you are speaking from experience there Tim. All good input
                Jeff Smith

Comment

Just did a little Internet surfing on this. Looks like alot of truckers use naval Jelly and/or Muratic Acid to get it clean first.
                  Jeff Smith

Comment

I wonder if this puppy would do the trick with some metal polish
                    Jeff Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Smith
                      Just did a little Internet surfing on this. Looks like alot of truckers use naval Jelly and/or Muratic Acid to get it clean first.
                      Naval Jelly is a strong rust remover...one I would not suggest using on a finished, diamond plate tool box. I have used this stuff on an old rusty pipe wrench. It removed the rust, but also removed the finish on the tool.

Tim
                      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Jeff, that's the type of attachment I've used on the end of a drill. Works well, though it can take a while on a whole tool box.
                        See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
                          Naval Jelly is a strong rust remover...one I would not suggest using on a finished, diamond plate tool box. I have used this stuff on an old rusty pipe wrench. It removed the rust, but also removed the finish on the tool.

Tim

Yeah i was just playng around while I had a few minutes bringing up some stuff on the net. Could not recommend it as I have not tried it. The truckers probably go this route not so much for pristime looks but for cleaning from time to time. It seems a product they tend to go with is called Aluminum Brightener and it is also acid based. Probably Ok for a quick fix for Diamond Plate that is severly oxidized and stained.

Originally posted by Pete-FWA
                          Jeff, that's the type of attachment I've used on the end of a drill. Works well, though it can take a while on a whole tool box.
                          I looked that up as a possible alternative to boogering up a foam pad. Would likely instill a few swirls in the process.

I try to always look around on the net to look at other alternatives for various fixes. Never now what you can find.
                          Jeff Smith

Comment

I believe that it is stated on the back of the Naval Jelly, NOT to use it on aluminum. I tried it on an old throttle body (uncoated aluminum), and it ended up accelerating the corrosion unbelievably.

I'd say that you would probably be better off using something like the Power Ball with a mild metal polish (NXT) or paint cleaner.
                            Don
                            12/27/2015
                            "Darth Camaro"
                            2013 Camaro ... triple black
                            323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

me personally, i would clean it 1st..then apply a polish with a terry cloth applicator..if you get black residue try meguiars nxt polysh with mothers polishing ball and a cordless drill..you might be suprised

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');