• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about claybar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about claybar

Guys, I have a question. this Thursday I plan on doing a major cleaning on the 03 celica.

I plan to:

wash(nxt gen wash)
    Dry(duh)
    Clay(meguiars new clay system-smooth surface)
    Cleaner(DC step 1)
    Polish (DC2 step2)
    and wax(nxt gen paste)

Now my question is this: is this over-kill or harmful on a perfect surfaced- car? What i mean is, is it to harsh on the paint/clear coat? The car is in perfect condition, washed once a week, polished/waxed once a month, etc.

More background: Car is garaged, live in Wisconsin, rarely driven(its a 2003 and has 12,xxx miles), and doesnt see much rain or snow.

Also,I have never in my life used a clay bar, can I somehow mess this up?

Thanks!
    2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Re: question about claybar

Originally posted by MikeGT

Now my question is this: is this over-kill or harmful on a perfect surfaced- car? What i mean is, is it to harsh on the paint/clear coat? The car is in perfect condition, washed once a week, polished/waxed once a month, etc.
    Everything you have listed to use on your car's paint is not only safe but it is also gentle to the finish. They are all super high in quality, your car's finish is in good hands.

Also,I have never in my life used a clay bar, can I somehow mess this up?

Thanks!
    Mike Kennedy here at Meguiar's coined a term at all the car shows he in charge of because he and his team gets asked this question all of the time. The simple answer is,

"You'll be an expert in 10 seconds"

It's that easy.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Clay is very easy to use.... you are not going to 'mess it up'. If your car has never been clayed I would guess it needs it, wash the car and then run your hand over the clean hood... does it feel rough? If so it needs to be clayed.

The Smooth Surface Clay kit is an awesome kit, remember to use lots of lube. In my case I always use a 16oz bottle of QD'er per vehicle.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

It is not over kill, that is a good plan for a garaged car.
        it is not harmfull to your clear coat

and the clay bar is pretty much idiot proof... and i would know LOL just use plenty of clay lube and you wil be fine!
        be sure to post pics
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord
        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Does meguiars make a clay bar and lube kit?
          '00 Audi A4 1.8 T
          '09 Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro
          Attention to detail is the key to success
          Steve

Comment

One more comment,

When watching people clay for the first time here are probably the three biggest mistakes they make,

1) Not using a spray lubricant at all, or not using enough spray lubricant

Yep, some people actually try to use the clay by itself without first spraying a spray lubricant onto the paint and onto the clay bar first. When they do this the clay will stick to the paint because when it's dry it's sticky or tacky.

Be sure to spray an ample amount of spray lubricant onto the paint and then a little onto the clay bar and then use the clay bar on the paint.

2) They don't apply enough pressure

Some people are too cautious and only press upon the clay lightly when claying, this tends to not remove all of the above surface bonded contaminants which defeats the purpose of claying the car. My best guess would be to apply about 5 pounds of pressure to the clay bar when pushing it over the finish.

3) They move their hand to slowly

Two things, when you move the clay bar slowly over the finish it tends to grab the paint and leave behind a clay smear, this then upsets people and they are disappointed with the clay. The real problem is their technique, they need to move the clay bar a little quicker and keep it moving, don't go and stop and go and stop kind of thing. The other thing is when you are pushing down about 5 pounds of pressure you will need to keep the clay bar moving or it will stick.

Think of rubbing a bar of soap over the skin on your arm, that's basically what your doing. Because clay is non-abrasive you can move it in any direction, straight lines, circles, heck spell out your name if you want.

Here's a tip...

Keep a microfiber polishing cloth in your back pocket and after claying a section, wipe it dry before moving on to the next section. This way you won't end up with a smeary looking finish all over the car because you didn't wipe off the residue and thus you won't have to re-wash the car. (One of the most often asked questions).

It's really easy one you do it for about 10 seconds and get the feel for it.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

1) Not using a spray lubricant at all, or not using enough spray lubricant

Yep, some people actually try to use the clay by itself without first spraying a spray lubricant onto the paint and onto the clay bar first. When they do this the clay will stick to the paint because when it's dry it's sticky or tacky.
              Really!?!?! Some do that? The lube is included in the kit with instructions!

Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Originally posted by onnfire
                Does meguiars make a clay bar and lube kit?
                I believe you can still order our G1116 Quik Clay Kit

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                  Really!?!?! Some do that?
                  Yes, some people try claying without the lube and with only the clay.

Originally posted by gb387
                  The lube is included in the kit with instructions!
                  Are society is turning into a society of people that don't read. They watch TV and look at pictures on the Internet. Reading requires thinking is my guess?
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Also:

Don't drop the clay on the floor, it'll pick up all sorts of nasty stuff that you won't want to rub into your cars paint.

Alex
                    Mandarina Racing

Comment

wow thanks for the quick repleys everyone!

Another clay question. is it worth it to do the entire car or just the hood/roof,trunk area?
                      2003 Toyota Celica GT- Silver Streak Mica

Comment

Esp if it is the first time, clay everything. You'll enjoy it anyway.

Remember you can clay paint--> glass--> trim-->wheels--> exhaust tips-->old refrigerators and toasters.

ALWAYS go in that order, dont work backwards. You risk dragging metal bits and rough stuff over your paint and glass if you reverse the order.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I'd recommend claying the entire car. You'll be surprised at how quickly the process goes once you get into the rhythm. Claying followed by paint cleaner (like DC1), IMHO, will give you at least 80% of the "look," with the remaining 20% provided by polish and wax (and the wax sealing it in). W/O the claying and the paint cleaner, you just don't get the full benefit of the wax.

Comment

Will claying glass help clean it?
                            '00 Audi A4 1.8 T
                            '09 Audi A4 2.0 T Quattro
                            Attention to detail is the key to success
                            Steve

Comment

It helps get the really stuck on stuff off, just like with paint.

For really dirty glass, you can read this:

Glass Polishing...Deep Cleaning
                              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');