• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on this scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on this scratch

Hi there I have this metallic forrest green truck, it has great paint and low miles. Only thing is this rear quarter panel scratch. I want to make it go away "OR" at least less noticeable. I will have a G100a (as soon as they are back in stock) So if you think I need to wet sand let me know what grit I should get. I think I have some 800 and 1500 from 3M. I have various products such as scratch-x, #83, #80, and all kinds of stuff (sanding block, etc)
    Anyway, it really isnt that noticeable unless you look for it, it is highlighted by the embedded wax and the flash of my camera. They are deep enough for a fingernail to catch them.
    Please help me, I think I am going car crazy

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Looks too deep to go away entirely. With the area that size, I would give it a go with several applications of ScratchX, and a terry cloth, worked in fairly hard. Try the mildest things first, and see if you get any improvement.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Yeah, I am not really expecting it to go away, just less noticeable. I thought maybe wet sanding, but I think I would have to use a lot of scratch-x to do this. I may try it, heck I have 2 tubes of it.
      Thanks!!

Anyone else have an idea?

Comment

i think that needs repainting
        my hondas bumper got scrached way woorse then that ... i couldnt even make it less noticable
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord
        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Should I try to procure some factory touch up paint in aeresol can? I think I can make it better I just wonder about the best approach. I was hopiing Mike Phillips would chime in

I have already researched every thread in this site I think. I know each situation is unique blah blah blah. I am a huge "Do it Yourselfer" And I know I can make this look better, but I ask 1000 questions, read 1000 threads before doing something new.

Comment

There is a product made By Turtle Wax Called Color Cure. I have tried it on my Black Honda in the past when i had a semi deep scratch and it "fills" it in pretty well. The downfall of the product is it wears off after 5 or so car washes, the more times you use/layer the product the better it works. It is a cheaper method of fixing it or at least a temporary method untill repainted and it comes in different colors for different color paint jobs, and is about $6 a bottle. You can get at local PEP BOYS. Go to site and check it out turtlewax.com its under apperance products. Some of what site says about it is...

-Turtle Wax® Color Cure™ with ChipStick™ is a color enriched car polish that fills-in swirl marks and light scratches.
            -Technologically advanced formula fills-in swirl marks and light scratches.
            -Unique formula blends in with original car color.
            -ChipStick™ can be used to fill in deeper scratches and stone chips.
            -Restores the finish to older cars making them look new.
            -Leaves a deep, brilliant shine.
            -Polyurethane enriched formula provides long lasting protection.
            -Available in black, red, blue and green.

HOPE THIS HELPS

Fred

Comment

Bumpers get scratched all the time. Something I do is I buy a bottle of touch up paint(no spray) and fill in the scratch. Let it dry and then layer some polish followed by nxt on the whole bumper. This while not perfect will make it hard for someone to see your scratches. You will, but the average eye won't without purposely looking for it. Hope this helps.

Comment

Yeah, I searched for some paint the other day. I will need to order it form GM, or duplicolor.

I am going to do something to it, dont know what yet.

Comment

I Would personally go over all of it with Meguiar's Scratch X
                  2 OR 3 TIMES then i would buy a bottle of the Turtle Wax Color Cure in Green and go over all scratches about 3 times. This method i think is the safest way to go. Turtle wax will fill in scratches WAY better than Touch Up Paint.. adn still last at least a month or so each time you use the Turtle Wax..

Another way to go is to get a good rubbing compound i like 3M
                  and 1500 grit Sandpaper also made by 3M, AND wet sand the scratches then use the rubbing compound and maybe also some scratch X after. Then buff out any other light scratches with Meguiar's NXT TECH WAX. I like paste form the most..\

Hope this helps -- I would first try the scratch x and Turtle Wax

Fred30350

Comment

The Turtle Wax color cure will not fill in a scratch better than touch up paint. I have used the color cure, and it is junk. It will wash away the next time you wash the truck. Obviously, paint is going to bond to the bumper and last a lot longer than a wax, especially one made by TW.

Comment

I am thinking along the lines of elbow grease, wet sanding, touchup paint, polishing (#83, #80,) then waxing. I am waiting on my DA to arrive, I want to polish the truck first.

I dont like the idea of "colored" waxes. But thanks for the tip!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');