• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car cover + Snow=??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car cover + Snow=??????

I recently ordered a covercraft cover(wheathershield) from meg's and bought it to maily keep the dew and frost offf the car so it wont run or drip when i drive. What about when it snow would it be safe to use a broom onthe cover to get snow off since it wont be hitting the paint? Any more advice about using the cover would be appreciated?

If any one has any advice or experience with the wheather shield please let me know what u think. Happy Turkey Day and Thanks. Greg.

I would think it should be safe, I mean it's certainly safer than running anything across the vehicle with only bare paint underneath!

Comment

I have a California Stormweave car cover, its pretty much their toughest cover. When it snows on my truck when its covered with less than 3 inches of snow, I try to get the leaf blower as fast as possible while the snow is still light and fluffy. When there is significant snow fall, I like to gently brush it off the cover with the brush part of a hand icescraper. Takes a little longer than say a push broom would, but I like to be safe...
      Rangerpowersports.com
      Ranger72

Comment

I have a California Stormweave car cover, its pretty much their toughest cover. When it snows on my truck when its covered with less than 3 inches of snow, I try to get the leaf blower as fast as possible while the snow is still light and fluffy. When there is significant snow fall, I like to gently brush it off the cover with the brush part of a hand icescraper. Takes a little longer than say a push broom would, but I like to be safe...
        Do you have any tips on using the ca cover in general I havent got it yet its still on order it is my first one any advice would be great I know that the car should be clean when you put it on but any tips would be good. Thanks Greg.

Comment

While tire shine looks great on the car, it doesnt look so hot on the inside of the cover... hahaha You could lay or cover your tires somehow when covering the car to prevent the tireshine from rubbing off on the inside of the cover.... If I havent just washed the car, I like to detail mist it first (obviously its only a lil dusty) they right before covering, I take a body duster to the vertical panels. uhmmm, either install the antenna grommet or just remove the antenna everytime you install the cover (unless you have a retraceable antenna). If you remove it, like I do, just place it on the drivers seat, this way you wont forget to reinstall it before driving. My cover has a rope that you can tie from one side to the other underneath the truck, if you have this use it every time. Reason being if the wind pics up, the sides of the cover *may* flap the side of the vehicle which I cant see beinga good thing, so I always tie mine. If you park the car on the street, I like to leave my rear lisceseplate exposed. ALso an orang road cone would be a great idea since there are no longer any relflective objects like talights to see at night.
          Rangerpowersports.com
          Ranger72

Comment

Greg,

I see you live in Glen Burnie, Md., which is where a lot of my family lives. I live in Baltimore and have had several car covers over the years.

My advice to you is the following:

1. If your cover comes with a steel cable lock, with grommets at the bottom of the cover, use the lock to deter theft. However, the lock is no guarantee that your car cover won't be stolen. I had two stolen off my car (with the lock installed), while it was sitting in the driveway.

Another way to help deter theft is to write some type of identification name or number on the cover, with a large "Sharpie" marker, or some other type of weatherproof/waterproof marker.

2. If your car has an antenna that sticks up, even when it is retracted into the fender, cut a hole in an old tennis ball, and place the ball over the antenna. This will give the cover a smooth place to rest, keeping the antenna from poking through the cover, over time. You can also put a hole in the cover and use the antenna grommets, so the antenna can poke through the cover safely.

3. As far as snow goes, if you want to brush it off the cover while it is on the car, use a broom only if the snow is deep on the car's surface. Once you get close to the cover with the broom, STOP! and use your hand (preferably with a glove) to remove the rest of the snow. If you touch the cover too much with a broom or brush, you can damage the upper layer fibers. This damage, down the road, could cause a weak spot in the cover's surface.

Actually, it would be best to remove the cover before it snows. In Maryland, we get ice and wet snow, which can dampen your cover to the point where it will actually freeze to the car's surface. If you try to remove the frozen cover, after this has happened, you may damage the cover's fibers because they will tear slightly, as you try to pull the frozen cover off the car.

I know this is a lot of information to dump on you, but I thought too much info, was better than too little.

Comment

See, my cover is desingned for extreme wheather including ice...
              Rangerpowersports.com
              Ranger72

Comment

Thanks for all of the info I went with the weathershield from covercraft. But as far as the snow and all the car is usually parked in the sun wich shoud help unstick the cover if it freezes. But i wont be driving the car in teh snow or rain seeing how my dad bought a new 250 and will be here sometime this week or next week and i will be driving his old truck in rain and snow. Seeing my car in rwd and ***** in both. Ill post pics of the car cover and his new truck when i get it detailed up

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');