• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White "speckles" appearing in paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White "speckles" appearing in paint

I am not sure what is going on with my paint on my 1998 Jeep Wrangler. I bought it new, it is the factory black paint, and it has been polished and waxed about four times a year. The paint is not fading or coming off anywhere, but all of a sudden I am having all of these little white "speckles" appear all over the finish.

It started at the top of the driver's side door, where I had it wet-sanded to get scuff marks off from a break-in about 4 years ago. It didn't start showing until a year ago, and I assumed it was from that, but now the white "speckles" seem to be spreading?? It is now over the entire door and I have noticed it is also beginning to show up on the passenger's side door. Both doors are now almost completely and uniformly covered with these little "speckles" of white, and it is beginning to look pretty bad against a black paint job.

These "speckles" look like really small little scatches, not from wear, but more like something underneath. You cannot feel them with your fingertips and it is not something on the surface. When I wash and dry the Jeep, no paint comes off on the towel, so the clearcoat is still there.

Does anyone know what is happening here?

Sounds like clear coat failure.

Comment

IMHO I think it sounds like clear coat failure also. Sorry to give that opinion but your description seems to fit the condition. A paint job is the only way to properly solve this problem.
      Death Before Dishonor

Comment

Hey,

First, Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Before we assume anything, can you please post a photo of what it is that you are talking about? I need to see a close up if possible.

Thanks.

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

did you try to clay the surface before waxing?
          http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Clay it and see what happens.. I have a similar prob. Mine turns out to be overspray UNDER the CC. So I either repaint or get a salvage yard hood. or live with it. It has 100K miles.
            Hope this helps.

Kelly
            MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Thanks 2hotford. Glad to be here! I have been using nothing but Meguiars products on my Jeep Wrangler that I bought in 1999. I personally use the Deep Crystal 3-Step System twice a year and Gold Class wax about 4 times a year, and have gotten FANTASTIC results! That is why these little "speckles" are driving me crazy.

Thanks guys. I tried claying, even though it didn't need it, and nothing changed. The paint is perfectly clean and smooth as glass. I was thinking it was the clearcoat also, but was hoping it wasn't. Why would this happen? Didn't Chrysler use a clear coat over the paint?

(sigh) How much does good QUALITY paint job cost, and what should I look for and ask for in a shop? And finally, will car insurance cover this?

Comment

I would assume it's some kind of paint failure from the factory finish.

Expect to pay around $2000 to $2500 for a quality BC/CC repaint.

Things you should ask:

If you can tour the shop ( you want to see what type of equipment they have)

If you can see some samples of their work on the lot (inspect it closely for blend, runs, dust in the clear, etc.)

I would ask what their routine is for prepping

What brand paint do they will use

What type of warranty do they offer

Bunch of questions to ask.

Comment

Please post a photo.
                  Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
                  Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

Sounds like you are having the same problem I am, except I haver those spots spreading in different places on my hood. I just bought my car a year ago from the dealer. Its an 2005. I haven't gone thier yetb but that should be warrenty?
                    2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S

Comment

I have the same problem on the hood of my Ford. It was repainted though, so I suspect the clear coat was not applied very well. Yours may be covered under some sort of corrosion or paint warranty, I would check with a good Chrysler representative.
                      2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L (RES/NAVI)
                      1998 BMW 318ti

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies, guys!

I cannot post a pic because I do not have the equipment or a scanner. I did, however take my Jeep to a paint and body shop. The owner there looked at it closely and explained to me that it was the paint beginning to crack. I could tell he hated to tell me that, because he commented on how good my ride looked. He said that he was going tell me that this was a good time to consider a trade-in, but it was obvious that my Jeep was well taken care of.

I told him how often and all the time I spent on detailing my Jeep, and he said that it was nothing I did, and there is nothing I can do to stop it either. It was probably some factory paint problem. In fact, if I had not taken such care of my Jeep, it might have showed up earlier, and therefore would have fallen within the 3 year new car warranty. With a vehicle now being 8 years old (although without a scratch or even a rock chip showing) I don't stand a chance. What a BUMMER. I can't believe it. I went the extra mile on this vehicle from day one, and now my paint is failing. People, I am telling you, thanks to Meguair's, my paint was as glossy and vibrant as any new car, until these little cracks started appearing.

Car insurance is no good. It seems that if someone went out and "keyed" my vehicle, insurance would pay to have it re-painted. My pristine paint is cracking, through no fault of mine, and I am on my own. Why am I an honest man?

I feel as if my dog had just died. I still can't believe it.

Comment

I would talk to a local dealership service rep, auto manufacturers do have secret warranties they dont tell the public about.

The reason to contact the dealership rep is that they bill out the money to the factory.

If you contact the factory rep, they will do everything to deny the claim, because they dont want to part with the cash to the dealership.

Standard Warranty

Basic: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.
                          Drivetrain: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.
                          Roadside: 3 yr. / 36,000 mi.
                          Rust: 5 yr. / 100,000 mi.

This would not be covered under a factory warranty

Comment

I would also check to see it there were any TSB's on your model year Jeep about premature paint failure or paint related problems. If there were this MAY help you plead a case. It would also be good to know what the problem was for your reference before getting the Jeep repainted.
                            2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L (RES/NAVI)
                            1998 BMW 318ti

Comment

Thanks, Five Star. I will do that, it definately couldn't hurt.

Escape, what is a TSB, and where do I check to see?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');