• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark under clearcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark under clearcoat

so recently ive been getting some marks which look like ot be under the clear coat but dont know how... i tried claybar but that didnt do anything and i just recently ordered a PC and some SSR 2.5 and SS1.. will these stuff remove the mark? or am i suppose to get a paint cleaner to remove it

If the marks are actually under the clear coat, the only way to fix them would be to repaint the panel.

Comment

Originally posted by kpagel
      If the marks are actually under the clear coat, the only way to fix them would be to repaint the panel.
      If you are sure it's under the clearcoat you are pretty limited in your options.

How about takng some pics and posting them though. Wouldn't hurt.
      Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Originally posted by kpagel
        i guess that its not under the clearcoat then.. i guess ill just have to try and take pictures to show it.. to hard too explain

but all i know is claybar didnt work

Comment

Yep, it kind of sounds like you are a bit unsure if it is under the cleacoat or not. I know where you are coming from. I too have an inexperienced eye with such things sometimes.

Get some pics and stick 'em up.

Here are afew things that might be helpful when you gear up to upload the pics:
          The Ultimate Picture Posting How To

How to put pictures into your posts

Pictures
          Tutorials on how to crop, resize, upload and insert your pictures into your messages

How-to Crop your photos before uploading them to your gallery

How to resize your photos using Easy Thumbnails - Free software!

Step-by-Step Picture-Posting HOW TO

Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

sorry if the pictures aren't that good, but thats what happens when u got a light color car but heres what i got, the mark is in center hope you guys can see it

Comment

is the panel repainted?

It's hard to tell from the pic, but it almost looks like a basecoat adhesion problem.

My brother repainted his dually and wound up with the same type spots due to using an inferior paint product.

looks like a stain

Comment

Originally posted by Five Star
                is the panel repainted?

It's hard to tell from the pic, but it almost looks like a basecoat adhesion problem.

My brother repainted his dually and wound up with the same type spots due to using an inferior paint product.

looks like a stain
                no it hasnt been repainted.. those marks just recetnly showed up within last month or so...

Comment

ok, well this is my advice to you.

you can try the products you ordered, there is no guarantee they will work.

The imperfection needs to be Physically evaluated by a professional, you can spend $50 on products and it may still be there when your done.

I just gave a guess because I've seen something very similiar.

Don't drive yourself crazy, have it inspected by a pro.

Comment

In my experience, marks that suddenly "appear" "under" the clearcoat are actually acid rain or bird poop etching. They look like they are under the clear because they have disturbed the refractive layer that the clearcoat provides.

Start with something less aggressive at first, like the SSR1 or DC1, and see if that helps. You might want to follow that with some #7 or DC2 depending on what your LSP is. Just make sure you reapply your LSP after the cleaning/polishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy
                      In my experience, marks that suddenly "appear" "under" the clearcoat are actually acid rain or bird poop etching. They look like they are under the clear because they have disturbed the refractive layer that the clearcoat provides.

Start with something less aggressive at first, like the SSR1 or DC1, and see if that helps. You might want to follow that with some #7 or DC2 depending on what your LSP is. Just make sure you reapply your LSP after the cleaning/polishing.
                      will SSR 2.5 then SSR1 work? i plan on doing a full detail soon

Comment

Sure, that will work if you are doing that anyway.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');