• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when you fill up at the gas station ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when you fill up at the gas station ....

and you finish putting the last bit of fuel in what do you guys do if you spill a bit of fuel on the paint with the last couple of drops?
    i personally just pour some of the servo water on it to wash it away, but i know there must be a better way. Would Final Inspection or quick detailer with a MF be ok for this?

what do you do?
    All people give pleasure : some when they arrive, others when they leave

I usually shake the pump handle for sec or two after fueling so I havent had any drips. If it happened, I would think some QD would be fine, even a kleenex.
    http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal
      I usually shake the pump handle for sec or two after fueling so I havent had any drips. If it happened, I would think some QD would be fine, even a kleenex.
      Me to.. First shake it, then turn it upside down and then lift it out

Comment

Yeah, best to just avoid the issue if you can. But if you *do* get some gas (or anything else) on the paint and you feel you need to get it off, I'd certainly use a high-lubricity QD and a very soft MF. But yeah, a Kleenex would work in a pinch, just remember that it doesn't have any deep nap for abrasive particles to migrate up into.
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Originally posted by Karl SS
          Me to.. First shake it, then turn it upside down and then lift it out
          Thats what I do... works every time. Adding, that I pull the handle out with a quick motion... in hopes if there is a drip it will have some momentum and fly away from the vehicle. Never had a drip using this technique.
          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

ok interesting technique. I'm trying this next time for sure. My mrs would laugh if she knew i got up at 5am to check this thread
            All people give pleasure : some when they arrive, others when they leave

Comment

I usually am careful to avoid dripping gas on my car, but if that happens, I have a cloth I keep in my trunk (apart from my high quality cloths) that I call my "**** cloth".

It is usually clean, but it is used mainly for the nastier parts of my details.
              Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
              Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

I shake it, then re-insert it let it sit for a minute,

also don't fill it up, until it clicks off

they have a recycling valve ( overflow valve ) in the nozzle.

so gas goes back into the inground tank

Basically the station is getting free gas, and your paying for it!

Comment

How do you avoid it going back into the recycling valve then? Do you just avoid filling up?
                  Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
                  Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

Originally posted by LiquidBlack
                    How do you avoid it going back into the recycling valve then? Do you just avoid filling up?
                    yes.. you estimate how many gallons you need to go over 3/4 based on the remaining gas and your tank capacity

Comment

In winter, I go around and get a handful of clean snow to "wash" it.

Summer, a kleenex.

Comment

A good and safe way is to put a rag under the gas tank fill up resevoir, so when you pull out the gas nozzle you let it drip its last remaining drops of gasoline into the rag and just leave the rag in there and just wash it when you have time.

Comment

My cap is not attached.

I just hold it under the spout when I pull out.

Cut the cord!
                          SRT-10 Silver

Comment

Originally posted by LT22
                            A good and safe way is to put a rag under the gas tank fill up resevoir, so when you pull out the gas nozzle you let it drip its last remaining drops of gasoline into the rag and just leave the rag in there and just wash it when you have time.
                            That's how I do mine. I wrap a small cloth around the end of the filler tube, keeping most of it at the bottom to catch drips. I change out the cloth when I wash the car or when it rains.
                            Don
                            12/27/2015
                            "Darth Camaro"
                            2013 Camaro ... triple black
                            323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Most gas stations have window washing supplies up on the pillars, and on them you usually can find some disposable shop wipes. While the pump is filling the tank, I go and grab a couple. Then, as I pull the handle out I wipe along it with the paper towel to catch any possible drips. It seems to me that it is the safest way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');