• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this be redundant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be redundant?

I'm just curious, if my goal is to have a 100% perfectly prepped surface, would the MPPC step in this process be redundant since I'm using a cleaner/polish as well?

Wash
    Clay
    MPPC
    83 (as needed)
    LSP

Thanks.

Re: Would this be redundant?

Originally posted by kpagel
    I'm just curious, if my goal is to have a 100% perfectly prepped surface, would the MPPC step in this process be redundant since I'm using a cleaner/polish as well?

Wash
    Clay
    MPPC
    83 (as needed)
    LSP

Thanks.
    Off the top of my head I would say yes it is unneccessay for the MPPC step. Personnaly I would skip that. It might be worth considering if you were going to skip the #83 & #80. In other words, if the finish warrented it you could go Wash>Clay>MPPC>the to a pure polish like #7 then your waxes. But IMHO applying the MPPC prior to using 2 cleaner polishes is a bit redundant. But I guess this might depend on just how bad the finish is.

On the flip side of the coin. I have since posts regarding the use of MPPC (or another paint cleaner) prior to the claying on finishes with heavy oxidation to pull the oxidation off prior to claying.
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Re: Re: Would this be redundant?

Originally posted by Jeff Smith
      Off the top of my head I would say yes it is unneccessay for the MPPC step. Personnaly I would skip that. It might be worth considering if you were going to skip the #83 & #80. In other words, if the finish warrented it you could go Wash>Clay>MPPC>the to a pure polish like #7 then your waxes. But IMHO applying the MPPC prior to using 2 cleaner polishes is a bit redundant. But I guess this might depend on just how bad the finish is.

On the flip side of the coin. I have since posts regarding the use of MPPC (or another paint cleaner) prior to the claying on finishes with heavy oxidation to pull the oxidation off prior to claying.
      Thanks, thats pretty much what I figured. This post was really just to satisfy my own curiosity. Unfortunately, I don't have any vehicles to detail at the moment.

Comment

There may be instances where doing things in the order you laid out would be beneificial. But, speaking for myself, I have not come accross them. Maybe some of the folks with more experience will chime in.

I do know that it seems to be that "some" folks "feel" that a separate cleaning and polishing steps will yield better results. But using MPPC followed by #83 then #80 seems a bit much. Maybe I am going to get educated on this one with you.
        Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

You could use MPPC after #80 to get higher gloss. This is probably only worthwhile on dark colours.
          Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

Originally posted by black240sx
            You could use MPPC after #80 to get higher gloss. This is probably only worthwhile on dark colours.
            Alright, I might be misguided, but how would it add gloss? As far as I know, #80 adds gloss because it contains the trade secret oils. From what I understand, MPPC does not have these, so it would remove the oils left behind, wouldn't it? If I'm confused or misinformed, please tell me. I'm trying to learn.

Comment

The abrasives in MPPC are finer and will leave a smoother finish. You are right that it has no polishing oils, though, so you might want to follow up with some #7 Show Car Glaze.
              Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

I used #81 polish after #80 and #83. IMHO it added an extra deep wet look after it was finished. I say go for it.
                http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by black240sx
                  The abrasives in MPPC are finer and will leave a smoother finish. You are right that it has no polishing oils, though, so you might want to follow up with some #7 Show Car Glaze.
                  Interesting opinion, black240sx. I never considered using MPPC as a finishing polish.

I've observed that MPPC leaves the finish squeaky clean so following it with #7 makes sense.

Since MPPC is discontinued, I think #82 Swirl Free Polish would be a good substitute - either as a finishing step or as the first test polish.

It's a shame I can't get #82 SFP in my country.

kpagel, are you using the rotary or the PC? I used MPPC with the rotary @ 600rpm and a black Lake Country variable-contact pad with great results on a 1992 diamond black metallic BMW.
                  Remember that you are UNIQUE - just like EVERYONE ELSE.

XP

Comment

Originally posted by wetlook
                    Interesting opinion, black240sx. I never considered using MPPC as a finishing polish.

I've observed that MPPC leaves the finish squeaky clean so following it with #7 makes sense.

Since MPPC is discontinued, I think #82 Swirl Free Polish would be a good substitute - either as a finishing step or as the first test polish.

It's a shame I can't get #82 SFP in my country.

kpagel, are you using the rotary or the PC? I used MPPC with the rotary @ 600rpm and a black Lake Country variable-contact pad with great results on a 1992 diamond black metallic BMW.
                    I'd be using it with a PC, but I do have a Makita. Still practicing on that, so its not touching any good cars yet. Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');