• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Started / Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What item(s) from the e-store is for marine usage? It says to use an even coat applicator and a supreme shine microfiber.

Comment

sry i made it unclear
      if you search for the suprime shine M/F then you will get suming for marine
      sry for the mix up
      Patrick Yu
      2003 Honda Accord
      2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Well, sealants are generaly protectants made from polymers, and Nxt, and #20, and #21 are all polymer protectants.

Just to make sure on your order of products, you will want to think of ScratchX and Quick Clay as "as needed" products. ColorX will be the prep for using the Nxt Wax.

QD (quick detailer)and a MF towel are good for bird droppings. Always get them off as fresh as possible.

A spray wax needs to be used when the car is clean. Even with the QD type products, the car cant be too dirty, only light dust.

ScratchX can be applied with a Hi-Tec Foam Applicator, a Even Coat Applicator, or a piece of Terry Cloth/inside-out white sock. The more knap the applicator has, the moreagressive the product can become.

The best thing about ColorX is you can work it different ways. It can be applied gently with a foam applicator, or applied passionatley with a terry cloth/even coat applicator to remove light swirls and oxidation.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks again for all the help, guys! I placed an order last night within the e-store for the six products that I haven't been able to find locally. Hopefully I'll have everything by the end of this week and I can dedicate a day to learning how to use all the products correctly on my vehicle from start to finish. Since I ordered 5 SS microfiber towels, I think it is wise to use a different one for each job. One for the exterior, interior, etc. I already used the QD and a soft rag to get off a bird dropping and it seems like it works well.

Comment

Sounds good.

Definately just get hang of what you bought for now. You will probably end up like us, and keep saying "Oh, I could probably use that too...", but dont over-burden yourself for now.

Just remember to have spare towels, applicators, cloths, etc ready, so that if you drop one, you can just put it to wash and get a clean one. And cut your clay up into pieces as well, because if you drop a piece, toss it.

Comment

I received all my stuff today. The glass towel and the microfibers seem very soft and the wheel brush looks very useful. With the quik clay, I know I should break it into pieces, but can it be re-used? If so, what is the best way to store it? I hope it won't dry up over time. I'm planning on setting aside the better part of Sunday to go through the paces with my car providing the weather holds up.

Comment

Originally posted by skyace888
                I received all my stuff today. The glass towel and the microfibers seem very soft and the wheel brush looks very useful. With the quik clay, I know I should break it into pieces, but can it be re-used? If so, what is the best way to store it? I hope it won't dry up over time. I'm planning on setting aside the better part of Sunday to go through the paces with my car providing the weather holds up.
                It can be re-used as long as it is not contaminate laden. If you can make a palm sized wafer and can look at it and not see anthing you think might scratch the finish, it is likely re-usable. If It does not look right, you can always use it as a dedicated glass clay until it is too far gone.

For me, I tend to use one clay bar per vehicle. But I clay paint, wheels glass and plastic trim. Usually after I am done with the wheels I would not trust using it on another vehicle.

For Storage, just put it in a ziplock baggie and the put a squirt or 2 of QD in the bagie with it.
                Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Just to be clear, you can clay just about anything.

The best order is:
                  1. Paint
                  2. Glass
                  3. Trim
                  4. Wheels

ColorX goes on nice and easy, but dont just wipe it on. For good conditions, you can work it in gently, but work it in a little.

ScratchX of course needs worked in very well. Work it more across the scratches as well, not in line with the scratches as much.

Comment

That's interesting. I didn't realize that you could clay glass, trim, and wheels as well. I'm hoping that the clay helps to give a smooth surface. I'm also hoping to somehow remove the stubborn hard water spots that are on my vehicle. After claying the areas, I think I will start with the ColorX and work that in pretty good with an even coat applicator. If that doesn't work, I guess I will have to try the ScratchX on those spots. I figure that the ScratchX should be saved as a last resort because it is abrasive.

Comment

ColorX is abrasive as well, just much milder, and can be wored in differently for different needs. You can work ColorX in more agressively to use the abrasives to remove minor defects, or work it in gently on a 'like-new' finish.

Quite franky, if you can see pretty obvious scratches, you will most likely be able to jump to ScratchX... but starting milder never hurts.

Comment

I had some time today, and since the weather wasn't that great, I figured I would work on the interior. I used the Quik Interior Detailer with a SS microfiber for the dashboard and console. I used the gold class leather wipes on my leather, and vacuumed up the floors. I'll do the inside windows once the car is fully washed, cleaned, waxed, etc. No sense in having clean windows only on one side! Overall I am happy so far with the products. I picked up a generic brand detailing brush from my local Wal-Mart but found out that it leaves pieces everywhere. I will probably get the slide lock detail brush from Meguiars sometime soon. One thing that I couldn't find from Meguiars is a pointed rubber piece on the end of a stick to get in between the crevices in the leather. Also, what is a good trim and vinyl protectant?

Comment

Originally posted by skyace888
                          I had some time today, and since the weather wasn't that great, I figured I would work on the interior. I used the Quik Interior Detailer with a SS microfiber for the dashboard and console. I used the gold class leather wipes on my leather, and vacuumed up the floors. I'll do the inside windows once the car is fully washed, cleaned, waxed, etc. No sense in having clean windows only on one side! Overall I am happy so far with the products. I picked up a generic brand detailing brush from my local Wal-Mart but found out that it leaves pieces everywhere. I will probably get the slide lock detail brush from Meguiars sometime soon. One thing that I couldn't find from Meguiars is a pointed rubber piece on the end of a stick to get in between the crevices in the leather. Also, what is a good trim and vinyl protectant?
                          I use this for getting into the cracks and crevices of my leather seats. I just use it dry, scrub the cracks then vacuum any thing that came out.
                          All-Surface Interior Brush

For my Trim & Vinyl I tend to swap back and forth a little but have had great results with both of the following.:

Gold Class Trim Detailer
                          Gold Class Trim Detailer

Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant
                          Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant

Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

I enjoy the Nxt Tech Protectant for my dash, and plastic trim on doors, etc.

I use the QID a couple times in between applications of the Nxt Protectant.

Comment

With respect to all the professional detailers on this forum I would humbly suggest that you take your car to a professional detailer and let them remove the water spots, the scratches, etc.

They have the knowledge, the equipment and the chemicals to do the job right the first time.

Certainly you and any motorist can do maintenance work on a vehicle like waxing and even cleaning leather and vinyl, but when it comes to correction of a paint problem or restoration of the horribly dirty and stained interior you need to use a professional.

Just a few well intentioned thoughts on my part.

Regards
                              Bud Abraham
                              DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

Comment

Well I just finished washing and detailing my vehicle. Overall I am satisfied with the results. The hot rims wheel cleaner along with the ultra safe wheel spoke brush were a great combination. I was able to get far into the groves of my wheels. I used the quik clay on major areas such as the hood and trunk after washing with the Mr. Clean system. I used the ScratchX on the area above my front window and on minor blemishes throughout the vehicle. It diminished the scratches a little but certainly didn't remove them. I worked in several applicatons of ScratchX with the even coat applicator waiting for each one to dry before buffing. I also used the ColorX on major areas with a foam applicator. Afterwards I applied the NXT Tech Wax with the supplied foam applicator. The wax is great and goes on and off really nicely. The windows look great after using the NXT glass product with the duo-fiber glass towel. It's dark outside now but maybe I'll be able to post pictures in the near future.

On the down side, the scratches above my front window are still visible and close inspection of the paint in areas like the hood, trunk, roof, etc. reveal water spots. The paint feels smooth as glass though. I was thinking about getting the G100 polisher and was wondering if that would help with these two problems (aside from helping my arm!). autodetailingsolutions.com has a few packages to choose from. Also, what is the difference between a G100 and a G100A? I'm a little skeptic letting others work on my car due to past experiences and I'm usually a do-it-yourself person.

Thanks and happy holidays!

--Al

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');