• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is more aggressive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is more aggressive

I am detailing a friends 1998 22 foot Mariah (green gelcote) and tried out my new bottle of # 80 speed glaze with a 7006 pad on the g100. (2 small areas of the boat)It looks alot better, but I need something a bit more aggressive- should I be reaching for the #44 color restorer or the #49 heavy duty oxidation remover. My gut instict tells me the level of agressiveness (low to high) would be #80, #44, #49.

Am I right ?
    Keep your mast up and your rudder wet !!

In order of aggressiveness from least to most,

M80
    M44
    M49
    M67

Give the M44 a try and see where it gets you. Don't overuse the product, be sure to work it slowly and work each section thoroughly before stopping and moving onto a new section.

As a rule we don't recommend our cutting pad for use with dual action polishers but for oxidized gel-coats and single stage paint it does work really well.

Try doing a test spot using the M44 first, and then follow this with the M80 and then go to wax.

Inspect this one small area and if it meets your expectations, cookie-cutter this over the entire boat.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the help Mike.

I'm picking up a W7000 and W8000 pad today, which I found will work with my orbital, but it only has a two speeds, 1000 and 1600 rpm. I'm thinking about trying the #44,followed by # 45 with the PC then either #21 or NXT.

My frind was happy with the look from just #80 then NXT, but I know it can be better,so he said go for it.

I'm going to get some pictures of this which I'll post later.

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesey
        I'm thinking about trying the #44,followed by # 45 with the PC then either #21 or NXT.
        HI Glenn,

Instead of using #21 or NXT, I would highly recommend going with the Flagship Premium Marine Wax. http://www.meguiars.com/?boat-flagsh...ium-Marine-Wax

Personally, I like the idea of using only products that are designed specifically for boat fiberglass gelcoats.
        FRANK CANNA
        Mirror Finish Detailing
        23rd Year 1986-2009

Comment

mirrorfinishman is 100% correct.

While the # 80 Speed Glaze is a great product for automotive clear coats, it is by far different than any of the Marine Line, especially the #44, #49, or #67. These 3 are totally different and much more aggressive, than #80, especially when working on a gel coat.

We 100% recommend sticking to right products for the right surfaces.

Mike
          Mike Pennington
          Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
          Meguiar's, Inc.
          800-854-8073
          mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. The reason I was going with 21 or NXT is because the boat will be sitting for at least 6 months, maybe even 18, and I want something that will last. It is going to be in a barn, but I don't know how well protected it will be.

How is the durability of the Flagship wax?

Glenn

Comment

The quality/durability of our Flagship Marine Wax is excellent. We hear nothing but raves from all parts of boating climates. I do not think you will be dissappointed by it's use

Mike
              Mike Pennington
              Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
              Meguiar's, Inc.
              800-854-8073
              mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

I love this forum !!!! I just found it about a month ago, but I have been using Meguiars products for about 20 years now- I always have a can of #26 on hand. It's great to get advice from guys who work for the company, and from others who have been using the different products for a while.

I like experimenting with stuff that is new to me, and lots of it is hard to find in Canada. I have the flagship wax on the shelf here at work, so looks like I'm going to give it a try.

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Jonesey
                  I love this forum !!!! I just found it about a month ago, but I have been using Meguiar's products for about 20 years now- I always have a can of #26 on hand. It's great to get advice from guys who work for the company, and from others who have been using the different products for a while.

Glenn

Just out of curiosity, how did you find our forum?

Whichever way you found out about it we're glad you like it. We strive to provide real-world, hands-on information that helps our customers to get the best results possible from their time, money and efforts. It's our goal to see you through to success.

Our forum is primarily made up of polite, friendly enthusiasts and professional detailers, (both Marine and Automotive), that are always willing to share their knowledge and experience.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I had been to the Meguiars site before, but for whatever reason had never clicked on the forum link. I think I found it from a link on Saabnet, lots of people there are using the G100/PC, and after I got mine I realized that while it was easy to use, I was probably only getting about 1/4 of it's potential. I think now I may be up to 1/2.

Maybe time to talk my wife into a vacation near Irvine !!!

Glenn

Comment

Thank you for your reply.
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');