• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Polish Damp MF???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Polish Damp MF???????

Well I also recently signed up on autopia's forum and I saw someone mention using a damp rag to remove one on menzerna's polishes I think it was the one equalivalent to #80. I was curious if this could be applied to any of the meg's polishes #'s 83,82,81,and 80? When I find my self using any of them I find myself taking alot of time cause I have to make sure the product has broken down but before it dries on surface sometimes I am stuck working in sun. So my question is would it hurt any of the polishing effect of the polishes if i moistened a mf towel the wiped off the polish and buffed with a dry one. I have no problem during it the other way. I just want to make sure I am not going to be losing any of the polishing qualities espevialy with 81 . I would be dampening the towel with #34. Thanks Greg.

Hi Greg,

Using a damp MF with #34 should not hurt anything with Meguiar's Polishes and Compounds. Generally, if you work the product enough to break down the diminishing abrasives properly, the residue should be easy to remove. If you are working on a hot surface, then the product may dry too soon, before the the diminishing abrasives have had a chance to break down. Meguiar's recommends applying and removing their product on a cool surface, and in the shade if possible.

Do not do this, however, for any of Meguiar's Waxes or Sealants.

Cheers!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Note that #81 (Hand Polish) is a pure polish, no functional abrasives to break down. I don't let pure polishes dry, I buff them off while they're still a little wet (well, I'll let #5 dry, but it's different). IMO your concerns about #34 and #81 have some basis, you don't want to clean off the benefits from the #81. But as long as you a) don't let it dry, b) don't use too much #34 so as to get a solvent-action effect going, and c) don't rub too hard, you should be OK. You never want to really "clean the #81 off the panel", you just want to remove the excess.

When using abrasive (non-pure) polishes, I do use #34 to aid in removing the residue. No problems as long as you've broken down the product enough to avoid micromarring.
      Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');