• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seagulls like black cars for targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seagulls like black cars for targets

I work at a landfill, needless to say my car gets bird droppings on it just about every day. I do my best to scrape them off with my ice scraper. Kidding.

Seriously though what the heck can i do? Im not exaggerating when i say just about everyday i get a new bird dropping on it!!!! Ive made my complaints to management and they basically wont do anything.

Im thinking the quick detailer will do it as ive read that others use the same method. But i dont have any at this point ill be making a trip to pepboys after work today hoping to find some. Any other products that may work better or as well?

-Would it be good to break the fecal matter loose after spraying the qd on it??? Please help me im getting so sick of seeing my brand new car get destroyed.

Im in pa so its cold here, i usually get out later in the day after its dark already.
    -Will the weather/temp. dictate how i should deal with this problem?

-Are there any specific techniques i should use to do little to no damage to the paint?
    -Also is there a specific time frame in which i should remove the "poo" from the car??? Like during lunch breaks?

At this point i just go to those horrible spray booths and spray the stuff off with water sometimes using soap.
    I admit ive used a paper towel before so i probably have marks from it. And sometimes i get lazy or too busy to do it. Should be fun once things start warming up to see how well she withstood the winter.

I thank you for your eyes in advance and all replies are appreciated. Mike id also like to hear what you have to say about this if you dont mind.

After searching i found similar threads stating QD as the best solution. But in my case it will be almost a daily upkeep, thats why i posted. Sorry if this was addresed in another thread without a telling title im hoping to get responses asap b/c i have some that are about to be taken off either the pressure wash way or by your suggestions.

Brian

The best solution is a car cover. A QD can only do so much by removing the crud hopefully before it has etched the paint. Just how much damage will be caused depends on what they have been eating.

I used to work very close to lake Michigan and directly on a river, and there were gulls around 24/7. Those who didn't cover their cars had etching damage.
    Jim
    My Gallery

Comment

I considered the cover option.

Which damage is worse??? That done by the fecal matter? OR By putting a cover on a semi-clean car? I.E. Dust b/c the landfill is very dusty. And the wind would probably kick it up under the cover??? I hate my job only b/c of this, and the fact that they refuse to put a pavilion up or pay for the damage.

Maybe my only option unfortunately thanks for the response jfelbab.

brian

Comment

Get a large Fake Owl with weighted felt feet and place it on top of your car every day. They should stay away within 100' from your car.
        http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by fourbanger
          I considered the cover option.

Which damage is worse??? That done by the fecal matter? OR By putting a cover on a semi-clean car? I.E. Dust b/c the landfill is very dusty. And the wind would probably kick it up under the cover??? I hate my job only b/c of this, and the fact that they refuse to put a pavilion up or pay for the damage.

Maybe my only option unfortunately thanks for the response jfelbab.

brian
          Here is another option... Buy a junker for commuting back and forth to work and keep your real car for better use.
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

My white must be a close second. I seem to get it everytime after I detail my truck.. I mean within an hour!

Comment

Removing the bird poo as soon as possible is recommended in order to keep it from etching into the paint. If it has dried, I recommend perhaps giving it a flick or two to remove most of it, then give it a nice, close spray of quick detailer to really bog it down with it. With one motion, remove the bird poo with the microfiber towel. Then, fold it over to a clean side and wipe the area clean.

Seriously though, over time your car will take a beating from this treatment, regardless of how quick you respond. The more you touch your vehicle, the more you are likely to instill scratches into it. A car cover would be a viable solution, but putting one on when the car is dusty can cause some scratching.

I really like the owl idea. I do agree, I think it works well. My mom has one in her backyard beneath a tree. No birds like to land in the tree above.
              Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
              Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

Re: Seagulls like black cars for targets

Seagulls?,I have a black Lincoln and I thought a black car was a magnet for all birds.Seems like they just save it for a dark target.Unfortunately the best you can do is remove the car from a known area to prevent further bombings,after you clean it up.Ive been though this before and don't park in certain places as a result,its not worth it .

Comment

Being at the landfill I think birds are going to be a constant problem. So its either a car cover, or a work beater car. I just do not see any other way around it.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

get a folding canopy and cover your car with it every day you go to work hahahahaha

Comment

When I saw the title of this thread it reminded me of what I saw in a parking lot a while back. A flock of seagulls pecking at a nice shiny MB, not any of the other cars near it, just the black car.
                      Leo

Comment

I dont know for sure but here is an idea maybe create your own quick cover thing using a bed sheet for the to part of the car and use some kind of weights like a bunch of washers inside a sewed sleeve or put some fishing weights on the sides and just place it on as a protectant from bird doo-doo

Comment

this should do the trick

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');