• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#9, #82, or DC2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #9, #82, or DC2

I have some minor spider webbing on a bright red car. It's only noticable in bright sunlight. What are the differences between products #9 swirl remover 2.0, #82 Swirl Free Polish, and Deep Crystal Polish. DC Polish did not seem to help much, maybe I didn't apply enough elbow grease, or maybe should have done it a second time??? Suppose I'm doing half the trunk, how much time should be spent on an area this size? thanks.
    Calvin

DC#2 is a pure polish, with no abrasives. It will not remove swirls. #82, used by hand ,is also very mild. #9 would be better to remove swirls with by hand out of those 3.

However, the best product to use by hand would be ScratchX if working by hand, though ColorX, which is milder could be used as well. Those are probably the best two products to pick from.

Be sure to read the "How-To" article on removing scratches with ScratchX.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
      DC#2 is a pure polish, with no abrasives. It will not remove swirls. #82, used by hand ,is also very mild. #9 would be better to remove swirls with by hand out of those 3.

However, the best product to use by hand would be ScratchX if working by hand, though ColorX, which is milder could be used as well. Those are probably the best two products to pick from.

Be sure to read the "How-To" article on removing scratches with ScratchX.
      thanks. The DC2 says it will take out minor swirls, but I guess they have to be extremely minor - and thus explains why it did not do what I expected. I'd like to start with the mildest first, then graduate to a stronger compound only if truly required. That said... can the following 4 be ranked in this order, from mildest to strongest?

mildest
      1) #82
      2) colorX
      3) scratchX
      4) #9
      strongest

Comment

Hey nonsensez9

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Just to chime in here....

Of the 3 products you originally listed, the Meguiar's #82 Swirl Free Polish is the most aggressive, followed by #9 Swirl Remover; as Murr said, DC#2 is a Pure Polish with no ingredients intended to clean the paint. It may help hide extremely mild swirls, but is usually used to add depth and richness to the paint.

If you are trying to remove swirls by hand, the best choice would be Meguiar's ScratchX. You need to REALLY work the product and then remove with a MF towel. Here is a link on how to use ScratchX properly:

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

But before we get that point, have you clayed the paint to remove any bonded contaminants?

How To Clay Paint

Meguiar's has a 5 Step Paint Care Cycle that suggests the proper steps to car care. By following the steps below in the link, then using the above for the removing of the swirls and bonded contaminants, your paint will look awesome!!

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

I hope this helps!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks. After looking at my Meguiar's collection of products, I should have stated Deep Crystal #1. So now noting that this product did not achieve desired results with one application, would a second or third application help out?

Next, is scratchX milder than the #9? Can either be applied with a random orbit applicator?

And... what is the difference between a polish (such as DC2) and a glaze (such as #7 show car glaze)? Does two applications of polish add anything to the process?

Lastly... the difference between a sealant and a wax? What is a pure sealant, and what is a pure wax? Is Nxt Gen. wax both a sealant and a wax? How many coats of Nxt Gen. can be applied before no further improvement is noticed?

enough questions?

thanks again
          Calvin

Comment

Hi Calvin,

Firstly, when you say an orbital buffer are you referring to a G100/ Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher or one the 11" varieties?

Here is a link which explains the difference between the various polishers. You should really consider buying the G100 or PC 7424 as these will make a major difference in your paint's finish.

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer

Second, Meguiar's ScratchX is more aggressive than the #9. Moreover the ScratchX is foir hand application only whereas the #9, and all of the DC line are for hand, DA, or orbital application.

Third, both DC#2 and #7 Show Car Glaze are both pure polishes. The #7 was designed originally for Single Stage paint, (though it works very well on BC/CC paints as well) and contains the highest amounts of TS Oils. DC#2 also a pure polish is from the consumer line, and may be a little easier to work with. Either product will add the TS Oils making the paint look slightly deeper and more rich looking. This effect will be more noticeable on darker colors.

Fourth, as for the differences between waxes and sealants, here is a link to that and many other comparisons:

What are the Differences Between Meguiar's Waxes

As for the number of coats, after 2-3 coats will provide uniform coverage and protection. Beyond that, diminishing returns kick in and the differences will be minimal IMO. Here is a link with more info:

What's the Deal with "Layering"?

I hope this helps!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Good stuff Tim! I appreciate it, and can't wait to try it out in the spring when I put my 'stang back on the road.

the random orbit unit I have is a 4 inch cordless Simoniz from Canadian Tire

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');