• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wax removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wax removal question

Mike,
    We all know that you should wash your car with dish washing liquid ( Dawn) before you use clay bar, right? Right.
    Does Meguiar's make a similar or better product for this purpose? You make everything else, it seems only natural that a wax remover would be in your product line.
    If you don't make one, maybe that would be a good addition to next year's line-up?
    My 2005 Black PT Cruiser will be back on the road in early spring. A dewax, clay bar and NXT treatment will the first order of business.
    Thanks for all your help and advice
    CNY_PT

I've found Dawn's wax-stripping abilities to be vastly over-rated. It sure doesn't dent LSPs like #16! A quick/easy/ sorta cheap solution is to use rubbing alcohol, either straight or mixed about 50:50 with water. I'd limit its use on vintage paints (especially lacquer), but it won't hurt modern paint, especially b/c.

Or you could clean the paint with Deep Crystal Step #1, that'd remove any LSP and also a lot of contamination.

Note that many (most?) people clay so aggressively that the clay cuts through any LSP in short order anyhow.
    Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Originally posted by Accumulator
      Or you could clean the paint with Deep Crystal Step #1, that'd remove any LSP and also a lot of contamination.
      I agree with this.... IMO its best to use a paint cleaner or cleaner/polish to remove any wax and contaminates prior to a wax. Something like DC#1, like accumulator suggested.

IMO Dawn will not add the proper lubrication to remove contaminates with out scratching.

This is from Procter & Gambles (the makers of dawn) web site.

Ok to wash car?

Question
      Can I wash my car with dishwashing detergent?

Answer
      Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don't recommend them for cleaning your car.

Here is the link: Dawn Dish Soap
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

It's not a good idea to wash your car with Dawn. It will dry out your exterior plastics and rubber seals. Most clay will remove wax and if you polish afterward all your wax will definitely be gone.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');