• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which polisher ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which polisher ?

whats the differnce between the pc 7224r and the 7336spr ? which one is better in your opinion ?

Meguiars G100A Polisher - Lifetime warranty, 5 ounce counter weight, one backing plate and one pad is included - Meguiars G-100A

Porter Cable 7336(considered a sander) - one year warranty, 6 ounce counter weight and you will have to buy the Meguiars DA Velcro Buffing System(contains: one backing plate, two soft buff polishing pads and one soft buff finishing pad)

Porter Cable 7424(considered a polisher) - one year warranty, 5 ounce counter weight and you will have to buy the Meguiars DA Velcro Buffing System(contains: one backing plate, two soft buff polishing pads and one soft buff finishing pad)

All three machines(the power unit itself)are basically the same. You need to get Meguiars brand pads if you go with either Porter-Cable (7424/7336) version, do not use the included white pad.

The two different counter weights won't make a difference, here is a test "Jimmy Buffit" did: The Dual Action Counterweight 'Controversy'
    Last edited by gb387; Jan 24, 2006, 03:45 PM.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Thank you very much for the info, i was a little confused. gonna order one probably next week

Comment

I have both PCs (one of each part number) and they're absolutely identical except for the included backing plate and counterweight.

FWIW, I've had a different experience with the weights than Jimmy Buffit; I find the 6" counterweight cuts down on vibration. I find the combination of heaviest counterweight (6") and lightest backingplate and pad to work the best. Note that foam pads (especially when loaded with product) weigh a lot more than the single sheet of sandpaper the machines were designed to use (the basic machine was designed as a sander, the polishing application came much later and they didn't change the innards of the machine to accommodate this).

Don't worry about which one you get, go by price or warranty (e.g., the g-100 route through Meguiar's). You might need that warranty

I use the 6" counterweight with every size pad (even the 4" ones). The PC part number for it is 699933. Only costs a few bucks. The PC phone number is 888 848-5175.
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Thank you again for the information. i really do appreciate it. my only other question is, is there a place to buy replacement parts for them. i heard somethin about the only problem they really have is the motor brushes or something along those lines.

Comment

You could call PC and get the parts from them, but I'd just find a local PC repair place and let them do it (they rebuilt my older one). Most medium-size cities have one as a lot of builders use PC equipment.

One of the best reasons to go with name brand equipment is the after-sale service support.
            Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Originally posted by Accumulator
              You could call PC and get the parts from them, but I'd just find a local PC repair place and let them do it (they rebuilt my older one). Most medium-size cities have one as a lot of builders use PC equipment.

One of the best reasons to go with name brand equipment is the after-sale service support.

There are several tool "hospitals" around my town and they all do a very nice job, all the name brands are easy to find parts for.
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

i'll make a couple phone calls to find out if we have one around here in michigan. thanks guys

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');