• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swirl help and which products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirl help and which products

I'm new here and I've read a bunch of post already on what to do, however I can not read all of them so I'll just ask.

I have a 2005 Mustang GT, Black, that was hit in the drivers door. When I picked the car up it looked great, however after a few washes some hideous swirl marks showed up. This was caused by a buffer of some sort, either by using the wrong compound, pad or pressure. The swirls are pretty deep, however they can not be felt. They can not be seen under flourescent lighting, but show up like mad in the sun.

Currently I have a Makita rotary buffer with 3M foam pads. I've also used and have the 3M perfect 3 polish/compound along with the Mequiars Swirl Remover 2.0. Both leave a smoother finish but they still leave slight machine type swirls.

The deeper swirls are still there so I have not used a true polish yet or anything else to brighten the finish as I see no point in that until the swirls are gone.

I'm considering buying a DAP to finish the polishing part of the car after the swirls are gone, but I'm open to suggestions and products. Time and money are not a problem as I just want my baby fixed. I will not take it back to the Dealer!!

Thanks Mike
    My rides currently
    2005 Mustang GT
    2001 Ford Lightning
    2002 Suzuki Hyabusa

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

I'm about to get on the road so I cannot type up a very lengthy response, but I'm sure others will chime in.

The problem you have described is a common one, and comes primarily from the misuse of the rotary buffer.

Sounds like you'll need to experiment a little to see what it will take to remove the swirls, (not fill in), using some products from our 80's series with your rotary buffer and a foam pad.

Then follow up your last rotary buffer process using the dual action polisher and a light cleaner/polish like our M80 Speed Glaze.

After that, maintain the finish using either a pure polish or the M80 Speed Glaze until your painter has said it okay to seal the surface with a coat of wax.

The link below shows a process I use often for removing swirls and restoring a show car shine...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=218
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for that thread. That showed me it can be fixed. Picture wise, my car looks like the trunk. I was lucky enough to find some of the machine cleaner /polishes tonight at O reillys. I picked up the 83 / 82 / and a machine glaze/polish. They looked like they would go in order in a three step buff/polish. I did a section on my hood with the 3M foam pads I have (5735). I used no wax afterwards at all so I'll get a good idea on what it looks like tomorrow. I used the rotary on all of it. It looks great in the garage and has a definite shine over the rest of the hood. I could not find a DAP nor any pads locally so I'll have to order one if I'm not satisfied with the results I get tomorrow.

Thanks Mike
      My rides currently
      2005 Mustang GT
      2001 Ford Lightning
      2002 Suzuki Hyabusa

Comment

It sounds like your 'machine glaze' is the #3?

If that is the case, your order is right:

1. #83 - a medium cleaner/polish

2. #82 - a very mild cleaner/ polish

3. #3 - a pure polish

You dont want to use any wax on fresh paint until the cure time has passed. Though if they replaced the whole door, it may have been naked at the factory, and no cure time is needed.

However, I will say dont go running out and buying any old dual-action polisher. The best machine is the Meguiars G-100. It can be ordered through Meguiars, or from Rick through autodetailingsolutions.com . It is a little cheaper from ADS, and they have some good packages of pads, etc. You can order online, but you may be better off calling, so you can be sure to talk to them and get all the pads you need.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I wanted to link this thread with one I have in the G100 forum hopefully to get more info.

Thanks Mike

My rides currently
          2005 Mustang GT
          2001 Ford Lightning
          2002 Suzuki Hyabusa

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');