• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protective Cord Sleeve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protective Cord Sleeve

Happy New Year Everyone!!

What is the name of the protective sleeve that wraps around the cord of either the dual-action polisher or the rotary buffer? I remember seeing this somewhere, but cannot remember the link or links. Thanks in advance and godspeed!!!!

"Monkey Tail" Cord Cover

Do a search on Google
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

That's it. Thanks for the quick reply. This is a great forum for exchanging information!!!!!

Comment

That's interesting and I'll probably get one but not for the use as pictured.

I've been thinking of ways to keep the cord completely off the car. I'll probably rig something up using the monkey tail cord cover and a way to velcro it to my shoulder but still allow the cord some movement through a tube of some kind. I want the cord off the car, cover or not, but I still want some free movement.

If I could I'd rig a hook and pulley from the garage ceiling with a retractable cord, hook the cord to that. I'd have free movement over my car but the cord wouldn't touch the car.
        It's not just chocolate, it's a lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Godiva
          That's interesting and I'll probably get one but not for the use as pictured.

I've been thinking of ways to keep the cord completely off the car. I'll probably rig something up using the monkey tail cord cover and a way to velcro it to my shoulder but still allow the cord some movement through a tube of some kind. I want the cord off the car, cover or not, but I still want some free movement.

If I could I'd rig a hook and pulley from the garage ceiling with a retractable cord, hook the cord to that. I'd have free movement over my car but the cord wouldn't touch the car.
          Sew an epaulet onto the shoulder of an old shirt and run the cord through that.
          Don
          12/27/2015
          "Darth Camaro"
          2013 Camaro ... triple black
          323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

You may also consider this option:

This is the DF Towel Cord Sock.

It is available from [dftowel.com-Dominique France Motorsports edited for commercial link(s); 2hotford] (the maker of the DF Concours Towel which many of us regard as the best towel on the market). It is constructed from the same material as the DF Towel

For dftowel.com/ordertowels $8, I think it's a great deal. While you're there, snare a few towels... they are KILLER!

RP
            -The Final Detail-
            Lagrange, Kentucky
            thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
            CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

I've never used a cord sock like this and I don't have a problem using one and in fact I like to try one, at the same time I've polished out all the cars in my life that I've polished out without using one on any of the electric buffers I've used.

It's just a matter of focusing on the take at hand and insuring your cord is over your shoulder so that it doesn't drag against the finish.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The biggest problem I see with both these tail things is that at some point some part of it is going to end up on the ground, where it is going to pick up dirt. So you'd have to make sure it was absolutely clean before it touched the paint or the entire purpose is moot.

I don't really want to be locked into an epaulet sewn onto a shirt as I'll either be sweating in a Hoodie in the summer or freezing in a T-shirt in the winter. And I'm not sewing up an entire wardrobe of detailing clothes to suit the gamut of weather.

This is what I've been thinking of:

Apron. The kind with a loop over the head. I know Meguiar's probably carries them. I have a few regular chef aprons and I'll use one of those.

I'll cut a small length of black soft rubber irrigation hose, like I use for my yard drip system. Maybe about 3-4 inches long. Then I'll slit it lengthwise. I can put the halter of the apron through it and vary the position over either shoulder or even behind my neck. I can put the cord through it and the cord with slide through it smoothly. I don't think it will come out but I can always put some tape around it to hold it temporarily until I'm ready to get "undressed". I'm going to give it a try today.
                It's not just chocolate, it's a lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Godiva
                  The biggest problem I see with both these tail things is that at some point some part of it is going to end up on the ground, where it is going to pick up dirt. So you'd have to make sure it was absolutely clean before it touched the paint or the entire purpose is moot.
                  My thoughts exactly!

I have never had any problem with just the cord alone but they would still be an interesting item to try.
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I agree, the reason I have never gotten one of these (and they are recommended for hose ends, as well) is that it is going to drag on the ground at some point, and will hold on to grit even better than the the cord by itself.

Rod Kraft at a detail day recommended a....a....one of those mountain climbing things that they sell at the cash register at home depot, to run the cord through your belt loop to help keep it off the car.

Comment

...carabiners; NE1?

Comment

Originally posted by Bence
                        ...carabiners; NE1?

Yeah...that's it! Thanks, Bence.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');