• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if I mix products? (LSP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens if I mix products? (LSP)

Hello!

I'm almost done with the detailing of my car, just one side left to do until spring. So far I've been using the #26 as LSP but I was toying with the thought of putting a Tech Wax or #20 on top of it once spring closes in.

What happens if I was to apply a coat (or several) of Tech Wax for instance on top of #26?
    Would that remove the #26 altogether?
    Is there any benefit of doing something like this?

(Ok, I've seen quite a few threads about mixing tech and #20/#21 but since they all are synthetic waxes and #26 isn't I thought that different rules apply here)

Kind regards,
    Marcus

That is a great question in that I myself have wondered when reading the posts of other members that apply multiple toppers. Like you said I have read where some members will put on a coat of #26 and then either a coat of NXT or #21 following the #26. I to wonder if this defeats the purpose of #26 and was just a wasted application of the product or does somehow the durability of the product seep through the NXT or the 21 and serve a purpose?? Would then the NXT or the 21 become the barrier of protection and the #26 be just lost below these products? Good question!!
    Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
    2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

It sounds like you mean layering, not 'mixing' exactly.

You can certainly layer 2 different Meguiars waxes, and 2 coats of wax is always recomended. Nothing wrong with the 2 coats being different waxes.

Some people like the "looks" of one wax or another, and the wax on top is usualy the one that gives the bulk of the "look".

However, Nxt Wax has a mild cleaner in it, so I would probably put that on the bottom, and top with #26. Dont want to clean off the #26 on the bottom.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

^^ You bring up a good point MURR...if you apply say a pure polish like #7 and then follow it up with the NXT is that mild cleaner in that wax going to remove some of the #7 or whatever sort of polish you apply before the NXT topper?? Seeing it as having sort of a cleaning affect to a slight extent you would think that it would be removing some product which may lie beneath.
        Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
        2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

Hmm, yeah, I guess I should have used the term layering instead, you are correct :-)

But then the question of layering pops up: does it really work? (can it be backed up from Meguiars that the products are layerable?)
          Are all products layerable against one another?

From my logical point of view, any topper would remove most of the earlier product and not layer up correctly, as one would wish. And somewhere there must be a limit to how much one can layer, if it really is possible to do.
          Otherwise I would gladly put 10 layers of Tech Wax on my car since it sits in the garage during winter time I have the opportunity to, thus gaining a very thick protection!

I suspect that the layer-ability is just something that one imagines more than a real fact.. or?

/Marcus

Comment

As far as removing polish, you're right, I am not sure how it works. I know my car looks better with polish before wax, than just wax. So I dont know.

As far as layering, here is Mikes official statement:

What's the Deal with "Layering"?

Perhaps that can answer questions better than I can, or at least some questions.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hey, thanks :-)
              That's a thread I haven't read so far!

/M

Comment

ive done 2 coats of #20 with a coat of #26 on top
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord
                2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Working...