• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do I use ... when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do I use ... when?

I want to put the PC 7424 I received for Christmas to work but am at a total loss as to the products used and when. I know I should start with a cleaner but which? Deep Crytal Sytem Step 1? #2 Fine-Cut Cleaner? Then when I get to the polishes I see that many of them have an abrasive index of 3 or more. Doesn't that mean that they will cut off the previous coat if I try layering? What is the difference between #3,#7,#9, and the 81-3 series? What are the 20 and 21 for? Back before most of you were even a twinkle in someone's eye, it was easy. Cadillac Coral came with three products in the box. When the name was changed to Blue Coral it was still three in one box. Then Blue Coral became a one-step and I started using Paint Cleaner Step 1 and #26 Meguiar's.

I could use some help here so the old man's car looks like an entry in the Concours d'Elegance.
    Black Cherry 05 Scion tC
    Orient Blue 02 BMW 325i

Cadillac Coral still the best I ever used

I recently used

#9 - Swirl Remover (Paint Cleaner/Polish) very light abbrasiveness
    #7 - Speed Glaxe (Pure Polish) Non Abbrasive
    Gold Class Wax - 2 Coats

The results were amazing, since my truck was in real good condintion, minus swirls.

But the favorite around here to use is #80, which I believe is more aggressive than #9, but not by much. Then followed up by your favorite wax. For added "pop" you could still use the #7 before you wax. Most people dont though!
    Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

Re: What do I use ... when?

Hi genee, to MOL!

Originally posted by genee
      ... I know I should start with a cleaner but which? Deep Crytal Sytem Step 1? #2 Fine-Cut Cleaner? ...
      You have to consider your paint, its condition and what you want to achieve when choosing products tools and techniques. Sorry if that's more confusing.

... Then when I get to the polishes I see that many of them have an abrasive index of 3 or more. Doesn't that mean that they will cut off the previous coat if I try layering? ...
      Polishes with cutting action are cleaner/polishes, intended for removing defects and contaminants. Yes, they'll remove old wax and such. They'll give you a clean point to start from. "Layering" is done with the LSPs (last step products) like waxes and sealants. (Some other companies call their waxes and sealants "polishes" so it's easy to get really confused).

...What is the difference between #3,#7,#9, and the 81-3 series? ...
      #3 and #7 are both "pure polishes" also called "glazes" for beautifying a finish. They don't leave any protection like a wax or sealant. #3 is optimized for machine application, including rotary machines. #7 is intended for hand application or DA polisher.

#9 is very much like #3 or #7 but also includes very fine abrasives for removing defects and contaminants. It's very gentle.

The 8X series is a set of newer products, pure polishes, cleaner/polishes of different aggressiveness levels and compounds. They're especially well suited for clear coat finishes. Part of the confusion is that there is quite a bit of functional overlap between products. You don't have to learn all of them if you don't want to. You'll usually find that just a couple will serve most of your needs.

... What are the 20 and 21 for? ...
      #20 and #21 are sealants. You put sealants or waxes on the finish to protect it. Sealants are different from waxes chemically but they provide the same function. Modern sealants can be much more durable than traditional waxes.

...Then Blue Coral became a one-step and I started using Paint Cleaner Step 1 and #26 Meguiar's....
      You still can. Those work great together.

...I could use some help here so the old man's car looks like an entry in the Concours d'Elegance.
      Again, that depends on your paint and its condition. Keep reading around here, there's a lot of useful info. Also keep in mind that there's more than one way to do anything. In fact, with Meguiar's there's usually many ways to something and all will work great. Meguiar's is all about giving customers choices. Like a fine restaurant, there's plenty on the menu and it's all good but if you try different things you'll find favorites.

You'll get there.

PC.

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');