• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car, what should I do to keep it looking that way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car, what should I do to keep it looking that way?

I realize this has probably been discussed a thousand times on these forums, I'm just curious if anyone can point me to a good thread to get this info...

I recently purchased my first new car and am not familiar with most of the Meguiar's products. I have used the Meguiar's Gold Class car wax on other cars. My new car is nothing fancy, I decided to go the practical/affordable approach and got a 2006 Corolla. I drive it on the freeway about 20 miles each way to and from work at least 6 times a week, so it's inevitable that I'm going to have some paint damage along the way.

I grew up watching my dad wash his cars in the driveway using laundry detergent and Turtle Wax and I now realize he was out of his mind. I know there are tons of products available to keep my paint looking new, however I don't even know where to begin. I've never used a polish, never used clay, however I know they are essential parts to maintaining the finish. I am just curious if there is a good thread that contains some basic info to lead me in the right direction. Thanks.....

Well, start small, get a few things, and soon you will have more products than you have room for.. just like the rest of us.

Here are a couple threads..

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Give those 2 a read, and then ask away. The best thing about Meguiars is all the product choices and options... but the worst thing for new people is all the choices, so I am sure you might still have a question or two.

Comment

Allrighty, thanks for the info... After examing all that I do have a few questions.

Last weekend I washed and then waxed with the Gold Class paste. I know that I have some very minor swirls and there are a few very minor scratches that I want to try and get rid of. There may also be a few areas that I might like to clay. So, my question is... since I just waxed the vehicle, will the claying/cleaning step be less effective? Also, do I need to clay first and then move on to a product like the deep crystal paint cleaner or vice versa? From there the next step is to polish... Do I need to rewash the car before I do this or is it ok to go straight to the polish following the clay/cleaning. I've also never used a polish, how is it applied and removed? Thanks again...

Comment

1. The claying and cleaning will work fine. It will remove any previous wax, so feel free to enjoy your hard work for a few days before re-doing it. And you will clay first, then clean. Also, I would just recomend claying the whole car. Its worth the few minutes it takes.

1A. DC#1 is a good mild cleaner, but wont remove any swirls. You will want ScratchX for that.

How To Remove Swirls By Hand

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

2. IF your clay step pulled off lots and lots of dirt then it might be good to re-wash. On a new car, you wont pull off enough to require a re-wash. Definately a final rinse though.

3. You can use one of those yellow foam applicators, and rub the polish into the surface. Not working it in like a paint cleaner, more rubbing it in like you would lotion on to skin. You dont let a polish dry, so you may only want to do a panel at a time, or half a panel, then wipe off.

Comment

Well during my lunch break I stopped at Advanced Auto and purchased a bottle of ScratchX, the Smooth Surface Clay Kit, and a bottle of Deep Crystal System Polish... I'm going to give it all a try this weekend.

I do have another question... When I waxed my car last week (first time I've waxed this particular vehicle) I was a little sloppy when applying the wax and managed to get some on a piece of thin black plastic trim that goes across the bottom third of the doors. I thought I was able to remove it all with my microfiber towel but I can still see the wax in the pores of the plastic. Do you have any recommendations for cleaning/removing this wax from the plastic pores? Thanks...

Comment

One more question...

Are the clay bars single use only or can they be saved and used again (assuming obviously that they don't pick up too much **** the first use).

Thanks,

Josh

Comment

For the clay, be sure to cut the bar into 3 or 4 pieces, so you dont drop the whole bar and have to throw it out.

Then put the unused pieces in a zip-lock bag, with 1 squirt of QD. If you only clay your paint, then put the used piece in as well. They wont last forever, but I use it up within year. You'll use up the QD first, and have to get more.

BTW, you can clay, in order, paint, glass, trim, metal trim, wheels. Never let any clay that has touched your wheels touch your paint. If you can get through all those bits with one bit of clay, yo ucna save it for wheels in the future, or just toss it.

For the black/gray trim, I like to use the GoldClass Trim Detailer. I prefer the liquid in the small bottle. Put some on your trim before waxing, then wax/remove wax. Then buff excess detailer off your trim. That should help keep the wax off, short of taping.

You can get the #39 vinyl and rubber cleaner and spray it on the trim to get the wax off, or try the same detailer fist, and work it in with a toothbrush gently. Maybe try the detailer first, then the extra cleaner.

Gold Class Trim Detailer

Comment

Re: New car, what should I do to keep it looking that way?

Originally posted by Joshodonn

I grew up watching my dad wash his cars in the driveway using laundry detergent and Turtle Wax and I now realize he was out of his mind. I know there are tons of products available to keep my paint looking new, however I don't even know where to begin.
                  I wouldn't say he was out of his mind. I don't know how old you are, but if he was working in single stage paint, that was different to care for in some ways.

If you want to keep things simple, the most important thing is washing your car frequently, but washing is the activity that will likely result in the most routine damage to your paint. A good gentle wash technique with a good lubricious shampoo (Meguiar's Gold Class is excellent, and very economical at Target), and a high quality wash sponge or mitt (sheepskin is very good) will go a long way toward preserving your finish.

Periodic waxing with your Gold Class will then protect your car, but the problem is that over time (or when sitting on the dealer lot) things will build up on your paint that will need to be removed by clay or something like Deep Crystal Step 1 (cleaner). Another option would be the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, which combines the cleaning and wax ingredients. Just be very careful about getting these products on your rubber and textured trim, as they will be very difficult to remove.

Anyway, I'm trying to say that frequent, good wash technique combined with locally available products and sensible, periodic application can give you good results without having to make things complicated. Of course, if you want to get more into it, there are tons of professional and other products/techniques for you to explore here.

Comment

Re: Re: New car, what should I do to keep it looking that way?

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy
                    I wouldn't say he was out of his mind. I don't know how old you are, but if he was working in single stage paint, that was different to care for in some ways.

Ok you do have a good point here... The first car I ever watched him wash was his 1966 Pontiac GTO, followed by his 1972 Mustang..., and yes indeed neither did and still do not have a clear coat on them. I still recall him using laundry detergent on newer cars that more than likely had clear coat (I'm 25 to answer your question).

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');