• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax

, Hey all just a quick question, ive been cleaning my car over the past few days, should come up nice, im just about to polish it with some gold class car polish, i notice this is a polish and a wax, is it a good idea to use a seperate wax once ive finished?

Hi jolinator

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Currently in the Gold Class line there is only Gold Class Wax, there use to be a Gold Class polish called, Gold Class Clear Coat Prep & Swirl Remover but it was discontinued years ago...

What is the exact name of the product you have because it if looks like this, then it's a wax.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

yep sorry im an idiot, for some reason i rememberd it being a polish aswell, but its the wax, however its in the older style bottle,

in that case, what polish would you recommend? basicly i have a dark gunmetal grey car with paint in very nice condition, im trying to get that wet "dripping finish", time and effort arnt really an issue,

so far ive done, deep crystal paint cleaner, clay bar, paint feels like glass

would you reccomend using the deep crystal paint cleaner again since ive gone over it with the claybar?

Comment

sorry for all the newb questions, my engine bay containes alot of polished aluminum, which got tarnished, ive got some of the NXT Metal polish and ive found its .o.k, but its not bringing it back up to the finish it once had, but rather leaving it cloudy, im using very soft polishing rags, any tips would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jolinator
          yep sorry im an idiot, for some reason i rememberd it being a polish aswell, but its the wax, however its in the older style bottle,

in that case, what polish would you recommend? basicly i have a dark gunmetal grey car with paint in very nice condition, im trying to get that wet "dripping finish", time and effort arnt really an issue,

would you reccomend using the deep crystal paint cleaner again since ive gone over it with the claybar?

Here's the normal order to follow

Wash
          Clay
          Paint Cleaner
          Polish
          Wax x 2

If you clayed after you cleaned, then you may see an improvement in appearance if you re-clean the paint just to insure a thorough cleaning, the idea behind claying first is to remove all the bonded gunk off the top of the paint so the paint cleaner can go after the stuff in the paint. Paint cleaners are not as effective at removing bonded gunk on top of the paint as a clay bar is.

Regardless of your decision, after using a paint cleaner, a good polish to follow up with is our Deep Crystal Polish. Then apply your wax and use the Swipe Test to insure it's dry before wiping it off.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Then I would suggest reading everything in the below forums, at least check each forum out and the title of the threads because almost every question ever asked on this forum in likely found written up in the below forums, especially the "Hot Topics I" forum and the "How-To" forum.

Main Forum

Information Station

Sub-Forums

Meguiar's How-To Articles
            Lots of great reading in this forum

Hot Topics
            Lots of great reading in this forum

Meguiar's Automotive FAQ
            The popular one in the above forum is Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Hot Topics II

Misinformation
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by jolinator
              sorry for all the newbie questions, my engine bay containes alot of polished aluminum, which got tarnished, ive got some of the NXT Metal polish and ive found its .o.k, but its not bringing it back up to the finish it once had, but rather leaving it cloudy, im using very soft polishing rags, any tips would be greatly appreciated,

thanks
              Polishing intricate parts like found in an engine bay is never fun and almost always hard and painstaking.

NXT Metal Polish works really well for most surfaces, if the metal is severely tarnished or oxidized, then you could try using a peice of terry cloth as the nap will act as a form of mild abrasive.

Are you positive these parts are polished, (uncoated), aluminum?

Is there any chance any of this aluminum is anodized?

If so you cannot polish anodized aluminum until you have it de-anodized and this means sending the part through a special acid bath.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thanks for the speedy replys

in regards to the polishing, its all uncoated aluminium, as i had fun polishing stuff for about 20 hours with bleeding hands,

not sure were to go from here, i no the pros use wax and a buffer to polish up aluminum

Comment

Hey,

If you are sure it is not coated nor anodized, then get a polishing buff made for a drill and use the NXT Metal Polysh. You need to work the product until it is almost gone. This should make the buff really black with residue. Wipe off with a dedicated towel.

*I also edited one word of your post for non-G rated language.

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

you can use "easy off oven cleaner" in the aerosol can to de anodize stuff (i used to do it alot just takes a little elbow grease to polish it up nice and only takes a couple mins to get the anodize off)

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');