• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You might laugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You might laugh

Hi all . .I'm fairly new to all this but I'm having a great time trying new techniques on my black '01 Dakota. Recently I bought a Simonize 8" random orbit polisher. My question is what bonnets or pads do I use for what. I'm limited to what I can get locally and ordering online is expensive what with duty's and taxes at the border. At my local auto parts store(Canadian Tire) I can buy a"value pack" of bonnets . This includes 1 vinyl lined terrycloth wax applicator,2 terrycloth bonnets for wax removal ,1 foam (very light density) for wax removal/buffing,and 1 simulated lambswool bonnet for final polishing only. Those descriptions are right off the package. I've been using the terrycloth vinyl lined bonnet to apply megs cleaner/wax ,nxt,and megs cleaner and polish. It seems to work okay. However when I try to remove the wax with the terry cloth bonnets I only get about 60 % of the wax and I end up finishing up by hand with a terry cloth towel. I tryed the "lambswool" bonnet once to get the remaining wax off and polish but it didnt work well at all. Should I just go back to doing it by hand or or can some combination of these pads work. THanks alot for the advice in advance.

I don't mix.

I use the Meguiar's Dual Action and I have a separate pad for each product.

I use two bucket method each with grit guard to wash.

W8006 Yellow soft buff foam polishing pad speed (3-5) for -A2116 Deep Crystal polish, remove while wet with Meguiar's microfiber towel.

W8006 Yellow soft buff foam polishing pad speed (3-5) for - NXT Tech Wax

W7006 Burgundy softbuff cutting pad with
    X4003 Gold Class Clear Coat Safe Microfiber bonnet (2) to remove wax. I really use both bonnets as one isn't enough to do the entire car. I also have a microfiber towel for clean ups the polisher missed.

Each pad and towel is marked with the product I use so I don't cross contaminate.

I'd use the foam to apply and the terry to polish off. As for the lamb's wool, maybe to buff the car after all of the wax has been removed. I've heard the orbital polishers are a little hard to use. My Dad offered me the use of his, but I passed and bought the DA instead. I tried his once and I find the DA much easier to handle.
    It's not just chocolate, it's a lifestyle.

Comment

Re: You might laugh

Originally posted by canoebuck
      Hi all . .I'm fairly new to all this but I'm having a great time trying new techniques on my black '01 Dakota. Recently I bought a Simonize 8" random orbit polisher. My question is what bonnets or pads do I use for what. I'm limited to what I can get locally and ordering online is expensive what with duty's and taxes at the border. At my local auto parts store(Canadian Tire) I can buy a"value pack" of bonnets . This includes 1 vinyl lined terrycloth wax applicator,2 terrycloth bonnets for wax removal ,1 foam (very light density) for wax removal/buffing,and 1 simulated lambswool bonnet for final polishing only. Those descriptions are right off the package. I've been using the terrycloth vinyl lined bonnet to apply megs cleaner/wax ,nxt,and megs cleaner and polish. It seems to work okay. However when I try to remove the wax with the terry cloth bonnets I only get about 60 % of the wax and I end up finishing up by hand with a terry cloth towel. I tryed the "lambswool" bonnet once to get the remaining wax off and polish but it didnt work well at all. Should I just go back to doing it by hand or or can some combination of these pads work. THanks alot for the advice in advance.
      im thinking that you bought the one on sale ...19.99
      2900 OPM random orbital ? to say the least it isn't very good.. they have the PC on sale but it sounds like your on a limited budget.

canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396669473&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1138642056837&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442458991&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true]Porter Cable DA

[Edited for commercial link; 2hotford]

Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer
      Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

the porter cable rotary is also on sale but im not sure its a good idea for you
      Patrick Yu
      2003 Honda Accord
      2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');