• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often

should you wax a vehicle? WHat is too much? Prety much if I driv emy truck anywhee, I wash it when I get back, and wax it once a week using
    3m swirl mark remover or dark vehicles (will be switchign to #9)
    ten Deep Crystal step 2
    then #7
    then#26 as the top layer.

So can I mess up somethign by doing this much so often, or is it ok to do?
    BMW Carbon Black '99 Dakota R/T (Click Here)

Thats fine to do.. Your wax isnt going to build up or anything. Just a couple thoughts though:

It might be a little overkill. Your wax isnt going to wear off in a week. You might save some time if you washed and used a QuickWax product weekly for a couple weeks. Then went back to your full detail.

Also, you'll be using a cleaner/polish (#9), a pure polish (DC#2), and another polish (#7)? Do you find that all three of those are needed to get the look you are after? It seems like you are repeating things a little, are you sure of the benefit? I would just guess that maybe you dont need the DC#2.

But, those are just two thoughts. If they achieve the look you are after, then certainly keep it up.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
      Thats fine to do.. Your wax isnt going to build up or anything. Just a couple thoughts though:

It might be a little overkill. Your wax isnt going to wear off in a week. You might save some time if you washed and used a QuickWax product weekly for a couple weeks. Then went back to your full detail.

Also, you'll be using a cleaner/polish (#9), a pure polish (DC#2), and another polish (#7)? Do you find that all three of those are needed to get the look you are after? It seems like you are repeating things a little, are you sure of the benefit? I would just guess that maybe you dont need the DC#2.

But, those are just two thoughts. If they achieve the look you are after, then certainly keep it up.
      what would you recommend as a cleaner? And I'll def drop the DC2 then... And lastly,should I use #21 somewhere in there, or is tht a polish too?

Comment

Well, try it without the DC#2, and see if you notice a difference.

Are yo uworking by hand?

#9 is a cleaner/polish with mild abrasives, that would fix just minor swirls, and add some polishing oils.
        DC#1 is a very good mild cleaner, but wont fix any swirls.

So maybe you would want to have both on hand so you can choose which is needed.

#21 is a synthetic wax, while #26 is a carnuba blend. You would want to use either:

2 coats of #26.
        #21 topped with #26.
        or 2 coats of #21.

#21 is probably going to last a bit longer than #26 as far as protection goes, but if you repeat every week, or couple weeks, both will protect that long easily.

The big thing for you will be looks. You'll have to see if you like the look of #21 or prefer the #26.

ADS sells a smaller sampler of #21 if you wanted to just try it. I think it is like $8.95 + S&H for a 12oz bottle.

Comment

One other thing I thought of, since I mentioned ADS...

I noticed you are using the smaller size bottles of the Professional Products. Since you like to detail often, maybe you could save some cash by ordering/finding the larger 64oz to 1 gallon size bottles.

#9, #7, #21 and #26 all come in larger sizes, and are on sale at the moment at ADS.

Comment

Well, try it without the DC#2, and see if you notice a difference.

Are yo uworking by hand?

#9 is a cleaner/polish with mild abrasives, that would fix just minor swirls, and add some polishing oils.
            DC#1 is a very good mild cleaner, but wont fix any swirls.

So maybe you would want to have both on hand so you can choose which is needed.

#21 is probably going to last a bit longer than #26 as far as protection goes, but if you repeat every week, or couple weeks, both will protect that long easily.

The big thing for you will be looks. You'll have to see if you like the look of #21 or prefer the #26.
            I'm workign by hand now, but plan to purchase a g100 soon. My truck isnt even out of the body shop yet, so I will have 60? days after it's done to restock all my detailing supplies, so I wanted a good list of stuff to get. I'm assuming it wont come back with swirls, but I guess I'll have to find out when I get her back. I think #1 might even be ok since the paint will be new?

I wil prob get the 64oz bottles of everything when I reoder the supplies.

also, is there link to ADS somewhere?

Comment

Ahh, here's an idea then...

One product you will want in your arsenal with a g-100 is the #80. And, the good part is , while it is a good cleaner/polish for swirl removal, it also leaves a thin polymer coating behind that is new paint safe. It is not like waxing, but it is a little protection for your new paint.

Even if you just apply it by hand for now, the polymer will still be left behind, even if you dont get the most out of the swirl removal abilities.

Comment

Ahh, here's an idea then...

One product you will want in your arsenal with a g-100 is the #80. And, the good part is , while it is a good cleaner/polish for swirl removal, it also leaves a thin polymer coating behind that is new paint safe. It is not like waxing, but it is a little protection for your new paint.

Even if you just apply it by hand for now, the polymer will still be left behind, even if you dont get the most out of the swirl removal abilities.
                sooo, how does #8, #7 then #21 sound then?

Comment

Just to be clear..

While paint is in its 30-90 day cure time, you can:

1. Wash
                  2. Clay if needed

Afterwards,

1. Wash
                  2. Clay if needed
                  4.#7

would be a great combination.

You also mentioned #9, and mild cleaner/polishes like #9/#82 can also work with a PC if you want the mildest abrasives possible for frequent detailing.

Just depends on what other products you want, but #80 is a definate on your shelf.

Comment

that sounds like a plan then

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');