• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quik question on 83 and 80.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quik question on 83 and 80.

Are there any pic's of what they look like after they are broken down by the DA? Not sure if I am running the DA long enough. I ran it until what it looked like vasolene then removed. Is that long enough? Got car in sun, oooooo lots of swirls and or spider webs. Hood looks good though!! Looks like I have a lot of work ahead. Thanks!
    MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Hi Kelly,

You need to work the product until it is a very light residue. You need to stop right before the point where it breaks down and disappears. Do not buff dry. This will come with more experience as you will need to see how long that actually takes. A few years ago, I was asked that very question, went outside and used the PC/#83/W-8006 pad and it took a good 3 minutes for a 2'x2' area. Now with your temperatures or humidity, that amount of time may very.

The weather here will not co-operate. Every time I plan a detail on the weekend, it rains or snows! But if the weather breaks on Sunday, I will see if I can snap a picture or two of what it should look like.

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Thanks Tim!!
      BIG learning curve here. Trail and error. Some vibration in hands but arm is thankful! Weather never cooperates does it. Been in the 60's here, about 30 degrees above normal the past few weeks. Of course today when I wanted to play with the DA it was in the 30's! Snow chance Sunday. Have a good evening.

Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by kellyinkc
        Thanks Tim!!
        BIG learning curve here. Trail and error. Some vibration in hands but arm is thankful! Weather never cooperates does it. Been in the 60's here, about 30 degrees above normal the past few weeks. Of course today when I wanted to play with the DA it was in the 30's! Snow chance Sunday. Have a good evening.

Kelly

Hiya Kelly: I'm right across the state line from you and you're right about the weather! I thought I'd have a decent weekend to work on the wife's car...but it's a little chilly for anything other than a quick detailer.

I typically use #83 and a #8006 pad and work an area until the 83 starts to release powder. My understanding is that is the diminishing abrasive of 83. I'm usually left with a light haze to wipe off with an mf towel. Then I check my work and continue if there is still swirls left. I've done quite a few black cars (Porsche's x 2, Jimmy Blazer, etc...my pics are in the gallery if you want to see the work).

I haven't tried 80 as I have tons of 83 (over 1/5 gallon left) and other Meg's products. I usually go from 83 to M21 Sealant.

Totoland Mach
        Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Originally posted by Totoland Mach
          Hiya Kelly: I'm right across the state line from you and you're right about the weather! I thought I'd have a decent weekend to work on the wife's car...but it's a little chilly for anything other than a quick detailer.

I typically use #83 and a #8006 pad and work an area until the 83 starts to release powder. My understanding is that is the diminishing abrasive of 83. I'm usually left with a light haze to wipe off with an mf towel. Then I check my work and continue if there is still swirls left. I've done quite a few black cars (Porsche's x 2, Jimmy Blazer, etc...my pics are in the gallery if you want to see the work).

I haven't tried 80 as I have tons of 83 (over 1/5 gallon left) and other Meg's products. I usually go from 83 to M21 Sealant.

Totoland Mach
          Hey,

Here is someting to try. Next time you are doing a black vehicle, try using #82 Swirl Free Polish after the #83. I know you will like the look! It does make a difference!

Tim

Comment

OK!! All I do is black and white! Yin- Yang. Temps are sub freezing right now so I won't be trying out the DA. Did ya find that suede purse?

Comment

The weather here will not co-operate. Every time I plan a detail on the weekend, it rains or snows! But if the weather breaks on Sunday, I will see if I can snap a picture or two of what it should look like.
              I hope you are able to take a picture of this process. I am curious to see if I am working #80 long enough. I'm pretty sure I am but I would like to be sure.

Comment

I typically use #83 and a #8006 pad and work an area until the 83 starts to release powder. My understanding is that is the diminishing abrasive of 83. I'm usually left with a light haze to wipe off with an mf towel
                I'm in the same boat. I don't fully know when to stop. But I did notice when I let it buff intill it's starts to release powder, that section comes out better, that when I stop before the powder. Don't know it that's the right way, and experimenting on someone else's car is not something I want any part of right now!
                Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

Thinking back to Sat. I could still swipe my finger through the polish when I thought I was done. I could not see black paint just
                  "haze". Guessing I need to run the DA longer. practice makes perfect!!

Comment

what exactly is DA again?
                    BMW Carbon Black '99 Dakota R/T (Click Here)

Comment

DA=Dual Action

The PC (Porter Cable/Meguiar's G100A) is a machine that runs in a dual action mode. It is a DA.
                      See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

DA= Dual Action
                        The pad rotates and orbits at the same time. HTH.

Kelly

Comment

2hotford,
                          Any luck with some pictures?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RockyTop
                            2hotford,
                            Any luck with some pictures?

Thanks

Sorry, but no. The weather just will not co-operate long enough for me to do a complete detail. As soon as the weather changes enough, I will definitey take some pictures and post them to this thread!

Tim

Comment

Thanks Tim! We are on a roller coaster here. 17 degrees this morning 60 this afternoon. Then back down, way down by the weekend. Did fender with DA yesterday. Ran DA until just a dry buff. Incedible difference!! have comparison pic of door and fender WOW! Wife even noticed.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');