• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Protection (Sealant?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Protection (Sealant?)

OK, my dad got this brochure after looking at a Subaru Forrester to replace our Camry. As far as I can tell, its advertising for a clear coat/sealant which is a lot harder than standard, and is supposed to provide better stain, oxidation and UV resistance. The option was quoted at ~$2000AUS.

In my first ever post I mentioned how I was told you shouldn't polish and wax a new car because of a special protective layer. I think my mate might've been talking about this stuff. I managed to hunt down the link:

motorone.co.za]MotorOne Paint Protection [Edited for commercial link; 2hotford]

Has anyone ever heard of this stuff? Does it work at all? I've heard of two-pack paints before when I did my automotive maintenance, and I'm thinking this might be the same. If it is it'd make for less maintenance, although I'd be a bit worried as something this hard would be brittle, and that would you risk losing a good portion of your paint work if it is hit with sufficient force.

Anyway, your thoughts guys.
    Gil A. Castillo

Short answer, save your money.

Longer answer, you're paying for the warranty, not the product itself. There is no miracle product that works so much better than everything else that it's worth $2000AU, or 2000 anything. You can get exactly the same protection and eliminate the need for any warranty with regular proper paint car, meaning regular washing and waxing.

If you follow proper procedure you can also eliminate swirl buildup, and the car will look fantastic.

There's loads of information about proper procedure on the rest of the forum; enjoy your time browsing and learning!

Tom
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Well, I'll say I really like my Subaru, and Mosca gave me great advice. Get the plastic bug/stone deflector.. works better than a gimmicky coating to save the paint. But have them install it.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I don't know of any person that is willing to pay $2000 for paint protection. There are several other paint protection packages out there for a lot less money either from dealerships or DIY.
        Protecting my "ride"

www.carwasher.com.au

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');