• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car and "cleaner waxes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car and "cleaner waxes"

I bought a new car with a Black Sapphire Metallic Clearcoat finish in October. When I clean and wax it for Spring, do I really want to use a "cleaner wax" and polish as the surface is still close to near perfect?

I'm thinking a good wash and wax is all that I need.

If your car's paint has no defects like swirls, no contaminants on it, etc, then wax would be all you need. However, getting a car to come from a dealership like that is almost impossible. And then if you went all winter with nothing on it, there will probably be a lot of bonded contaminats.

Just putting a wax over an unprepped surface is going to reduce the looks and durability of any wax.

If you are trying to keep things to a bare minimum, then I would at least use a cleaner/wax, and then top it with a regular wax.

But doing a full detail will raise your results further. Perhaps these 2 threads would be a good read for you.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Since most Meguiar's cleanerwaxes are either nonabrasive or *very* mildly abrasive, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. And yeah, I'd certainly clay first too.
      Practical Perfectionist

Comment

colorx + nxt =

Comment

Just to add to Murr's comments, if you wanted to cut down on your steps and still get good results, I would suggest using a mild clay bar and then using a good wax or cleaner wax.
          You will be surprised on how dirty a clay bar will become even on a new car and slick the surface will feel once you have used it.

Tom

Comment

I am looking forward to trying ColorX + #21.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
              I am looking forward to trying ColorX + #21.
              It's a really nice combo Murr, I use ColorX often as a base for 21 or 20.
              Trust me...Your patience will be rewarded...

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');