• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Product for Magnesium Centered Wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Product for Magnesium Centered Wheels?

Hi,

I've recently picked up a set of used BBS Motorsports 3-piece racing wheels that are in need of a cleaning. The wheels have aluminum rim halves and painted magnesium centers. As track wheels, the centers are pitted and chiped in some places through to the forged magnesium.

Since these are track wheels, I'm not looking to restore them to concourse condition or anything; I'm just looking to safely remove some of the built up grime and brake dust where possible and polish up the lips without damage or discoloration.

What is the best Meguiar's product to use in this situation?

If I had to take a blind guess, it would obviously be the Hot Rims Multi Piece Wheel Cleaner. The problem is that I am in Ontario and I don't think that product is available in Canada yet... How different is this product from last year's Hot Rims All Wheel Cleaner (which I have used to great success on other cars in the past)? Would it be worth while for me to order the multi piece wheel cleaner or even a professional product like the wheel cleaner #36 from the USA for this job?

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated...

Thanks,
    Erik

I'm not sure Hot Rims Multi Piece Wheel Cleaner will ever come to canada. all we have now is All Wheel Cleaner, Im pretty sure we never had Chrome Wheel Cleaner .
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Aren't Multi-piece Wheel Cleaner and All Wheel Cleaner the same thing? Just new name and packaging?

Or maybe I have them confused with the other six Meguiars wheel cleaners.
      Mr. Miyagi says: "Wax on, wax off"

Comment

Originally posted by black240sx
        Aren't Multi-piece Wheel Cleaner and All Wheel Cleaner the same thing? Just new name and packaging?

...And that's where I get confused... I figured "all wheel cleaner" truly meant "all wheel cleaner" (despite magnesium never being listed as an example on the bottle), but then I noticed the new products while revisiting the Meguiar's website...

If the multi-piece cleaner and all wheel cleaner are the same thing, why differentiate between them in the American market as two seperate products?

I just want to be sure I don't damage or weaken these wheels...

Comment

There must be something different between them? They mention the Multi-Wheel cleaner being safe for brakes.

I dont know if that means one shouldnt get the All-Wheel Cleaner on disk brakes?

Is the Multi-Wheel cleaner better for exposed, non-clearcoated metal?
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by black240sx

i don't think Meguiar's sells six diffrent wheel cleaners in Canada, I'm pretty sure its just one. or maybe my catologue is too old...2 months?
            Patrick Yu
            2003 Honda Accord
            2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');