• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metal Polysh on Polished Rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Polysh on Polished Rims?

pretty simple question... just got in some new rims for my mustang, they are polished aluminum rims (with no clear coat, according to the boxes) and wanted to make sure they were good to go with the nxt metal polysh. i see no reason why not, but wanted to be sure. thanks!

Here is what it say's you can use it on.

NXT Generation All Metal Polysh cleans, polishes, and protects all wheels, stainless steel exhausts, chrome air intakes and valve covers, aluminum, brass, copper, silver and all other bright work components. Meguiar’s Microscopic Diminishing Abrasive Technology (MDAT) removes built-up oxidation, tarnishing, and staining faster and safer than traditional harsh abrasives. Anti-corrosive technology locks in the shine. Use a High Tech Applicator Pad or Even Coat Applicator to apply and remove residue with an Ultra Plush Super Terry or Supreme Shine Microfiber.

Comment

You'll like NXT Metal Polysh on the non-clear coated rims. It's what I use all the time and I also follow that with a coat of M21 sealant on the "as cast" portion and the inside of the wheel (for dust control)

Here's a pic of my rim with NXT Metal Polysh.

Card carrying Wax-aholic

Comment

Here is what it look's like on clear coated rim's. With some Insane Shine on the tire's.

Comment

put a good polishing to one of the rims today, and it didnt really seem todo much at all. almost seemed to put a bunch of small scratches into it.

when rubbing, there was a lot of 'black' that was coming up, but after looking at my reflection in the area, it seems a bit more colorful, but not a lot of shine and brightness. then there were the scratches i mentioned.

this is the first time i havent had great results with it. anyone have any other product suggestions?

Comment

It's alsmost certainly NOT the NXT Metal Polysh that's causing the scratches.

The diminishing abrasives just don't seem aggresive enough to leave marring even of it's not worked in properly, but if you've worked it enough to blacken your towel then it should be broken down into extremely fine polishing particles and leave a high gloss, scratch free surface.

Most likely candidates would be dirt/grit on the rims before you started, dirt/grit on your application towel or dirt/grit on your removal towel.

I use NXT Metal polysh on my polished rims and have yet to find a better product out there, to be honest, I've stopped looking !!

I would review the steps you took and make sure that you weren't introducing the scratches along the way.

Dave

Comment

i didnt think so either, so maybe it was something that was already introduced to the wheels.

after taking nxt or another product to it, is it worth it (or even doable) to put a coating of nxt wax on it? im looking for some type of protection as well.

Comment

If the metal you're working on is polished aluminum, uncoated and non-anodized, then NXT All Metal Polysh should produce stellar results. If it's not, then my first thoughts are there's something wrong somewhere else.

Can you post a picture of before and after where you've worked?
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

i double checked the auction that i won, and they are in fact polished aluminum. it seems that maybe they are already at their highest 'shine' point, as i tried another brand of polisher/cleaner, didnt seem to raise it up at all.

this is the first piece of aluminum/metal that the nxt has touched that hasnt done anything noticable. i was quite shocked.

ill have to see if i can post some pics later on, definitely not tonight unfortunately.

Comment

Sorry this is really off-topic but hey from a former New Hampshiren. I used to live in a little town called Weare...it was right between Manchester and Concord. How's the weather been there lately anyways?

I've never had any problems with NXT Metal Polysh scratching wheels, so like the others mentioned it must be something else.
                    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
                    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
                    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

ah yes, weare. weather is yucky, as it is most of the winter. hopefully it will be over soon. not a whole lot of snow this year.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');