• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hand wash or power wash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand wash or power wash

Which do you prefer to use?
    Hand wash
    85.32%
    Power wash
    14.68%

Hand wash all the way! There are times I will pull the power washer out or go to the coin-op to get the "heavy" stuff off (salt/sand and such) but it will always get followed up by a hand wash.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Hand wash is the best. Sponge in 1 hand clay in the other.

Comment

ehhh, use a pressure nozzel rod thing for higher psi than a normal nozzel for rinses and hand wash. Never led anyone else or anything else wash my car except when i don't have a enough time, take it to the regular car wash place (Danny's Family Car Wash) not as good as if you do it yourself, but just okay

Comment

Originally posted by del_badboy
          Hand wash is the best. Sponge in 1 hand clay in the other.
          Welcome to MOL
          i have never heard of this
          i think that you can use wash solution as lube but you may want to use a wash first so that the clay bar doesn't jam up so fast
          Patrick Yu
          2003 Honda Accord
          2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

I think both for me. I will use the pressure washer first to get all the dust away then follow it with a hand wash using GC shampoo.

Comment

HAND WASH ONLY !!!...pressure from the normal hose should be more than adequate to get loose surface contaminants off...pressure wash wheel wells, engine compartment etc, ok, but I wouldn't use it on painted surfaces....
              Bill Poirier
              West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

In the warmer months I always handwash, it does a much better job than the powerwashes. During the winter months I take it to the car wash, but I never seem to be able to get it all off.

Comment

I have a pressure washer and use it on cars, but only when necessary. Its not a cure-all. It has its place in a detailing arsenal (very dirty vehicles, wheel well, tires, etc), but it never substitutes a hand wash. A pressure washer simply does not get everything off the paint that a hand wash will.

Comment

Powerwash+handwash is what I do if the car is very dirty. I try to remove as much dirt as possible before touching the paint with a mitt. I have found that to be very important to avoid swirls and scratches.

Comment

I may pressure wash a few times a year to clean out the wheel wells and other dirt trap areas, otherwise its hand wash in the driveway at least once a week. If I do wash it at a coin op pressure wash place I take my own soap, bucket, and mit to hand wash it there, most places use a pretty strong detergent soap, my neighbor owns a few car washes, I dont like useing that stuff.

Big J
                      2003 Ford F-150 Harley Davidson 100th Anniv. Ed

Comment

I hand wash, but unless you have a high-pressure system down under, we aren't allowed to use hoses.

Besides, throwing a bucketfull onto the car seems to be more effective at clearing out the more stubborn pieces of dirt.
                        Gil A. Castillo

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
                          Welcome to MOL
                          i have never heard of this
                          i think that you can use wash solution as lube but you may want to use a wash first so that the clay bar doesn't jam up so fast

I do it all the time, plenty of lubricant in the soap.Your clay bar shouldnt get stuck or as you say it jam up if you car doesnt have mud on it . ok, like when i am washing a vehicle i will rub it with my hand to feel for any roughness or contaminates after ive hit it with a sponge, if i feel something, i clay it, sometimes you will run into something that wont come off, but not usually. i think it saves alot of time for me and alot of QD.Everybody i believe has there own little differant variations of washing there vehicles, but thats cool, everybody is differant thats what makes everyones routine unique.

Comment

Originally posted by amari
                            I think both for me. I will use the pressure washer first to get all the dust away then follow it with a hand wash using GC shampoo.
                            The same here, the only difference is that i use the Nxt shampoo
                            I just love detailing

Comment

Re: Hand wash or power wash

Hand wash and a good car shampoo.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');