• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! White car + cleaner wax = Yellow car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! White car + cleaner wax = Yellow car

Ok guys, I'm freaking out.... I have a white talon that has oxidized paint. This is my first try at detailing this ride. I cleaned it throughly with meg's car wash, 2 buckets, the right way according to what I know. Then I tried some cleaner wax. I wasn't sure if I should polish first or just use the wax. I figured this is the less abrasive path, so I'll try just the cleaner wax first. I applied a decent coat let it dry for 30 mins or so and have been buffing the **** out of it for the last 2 hrs. The yellow tint of the wax soaked into my paint o.0 !!! I can't get it out to save my life. My paint was dull before, but white. Now it's semi-dull yellow. Looks like the front of my car sat in a bar for 2 years. Somebody, plz give me some advice.... I was trying to save my paint until I could afford to get it sprayed right. Now, it would look better in primer grey, I didn't see an old white car warning on this stuff.

Hi cyberslug,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

In the last 2 years we've seen people come to the forum and claim our products have dyed their paint a different color and after calmer heads have prevailed, each time it turned out not to be the case at all. So let's look at your situation from that viewpoint, plus in all my years of hands-on experience I've never seen paint dyed by a Meguiar's product.

First, what year is your Eagle Talon? I'm pretty sure all Talons came with a clear coat finish. This being true, then you're not working on white paint, you're working on clear resin, i.e. a clear coat finish.

Second, how did you apply the cleaner/wax?

1) Apply a thick coat and let dry
    2) Apply a thin coat and let dry
    3) Apply a thin coat and then work in and against the finish and then let dry.

You understand, cleaner/waxes by their very nature are meant to be applied and then thoroughly and intentionally worked into the finish. The idea is that a cleaner/wax gets part of its cleaning ability from the cleaners in the wax but it also gets part of the cleaning ability from you putting a little passion behind the pad.

If you car's finish was oxidized or neglected in any way and all you did was apply the product and let it dry, this would be using the product incorrectly.

If this is the case, here's a quick experiment. Go back out to an area you've already worked, apply a small amount to about a foot squared and work it in really well. Now let it dry for between 5-10 minutes and then wipe it off using something soft with a nap, such as a clean, soft microfiber polishing cloth or a 100% cotton, terry cloth towel.

Now inspect this area and the process as compared to your previous process and results.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

1st off thanks for the reply. To answer your questions, It's a 1990, and somewhere between 1 and 2. I will go and try your suggestion at once. I was only going off was the directions on the can. clean, cool, dry surface, "apply small amount of product on foam applicator and spread even., thin coat over the entire vehicle and let dry." "remove excess with microfiber, cotton. ....." I thought I did it right

Again thanks for the reply, I'll try it and get back with you.

Cyberslug

Comment

Yeah, that's close, but that's why this forum comes in handy, it gives us more room than the label for more words.

Trust me on this, if your car's finish is oxidized enough you can see it, it's oxidized enough that you need to put a little passion behind the pad.

You might even consider using a peice of soft terry cloth toweling as the nap of the terry cloth will act as a form of a gentle abrasive adding to the cleaning ability of the cleaner/wax.

A second coat could then be applied using a foam applicator to give you more polishing effect and less cleaning power.

Another thing to try if you have some is ScratchX. This is a very white product and it will deep clean the paint and anything on it and in it. Apply the same as a cleaner/wax.

Try this small section and then get back to us, just to note, cleaner/waxes tend to dry pretty quickly, around here we recommend people use the Swipe Test to tell if their wax is ready to remove.

How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

My car is also heavily oxidized, its a '92 plymouth laser, same car different name. As Mike has suggested scratch-x workes really well, but if the oxidation isn't too bad the Deep Crystal Paint cleaner works well to get minor oxidation out. Using this I got the first reflection off of my car. Just a thought if the oxidation isn't bad. Another product that seems to get good results is Color-X, from what I understand, it cleans, polishes, and adds a little wax.

Also, the directions for use are not always right. On Scratch-X it says to allow it to dry, that was a BIG mistake. Just something to keep in mind when trying new products.

Comment

Doing is again per your instructions has helped, but it still isn't quite coming off. I think the deal is my clearcoat is about gone and the wax is just filling the pits. The places that look the best (whitest) are were the abrasive is good enough (scrubed hard enough) to smooth things out again. The rougher the paint the yellower it is. I think it's gonna take me a month doing it this way. Can I use scratch-x on it this way? or is there a wax stripper I should use first?

Comment

cyberslug,

It could be that your clear coat finish has reached the point of no return, you're describing the clear coat as being pitted? If this is the case, it actually sounds like it could be so far gone that no product can save it?

Here are some pictures of clear coat failure, does it look anything like this? (only on white paint).

Believe it or not, we have people join our forum and describe paint like you see above and want to know what product to buy to fix the problem when the honest answer is the car needs a new paint job because nothing you pour out of a bottle, squeeze out of a tube or scoop out of a can is going to fix a clear coat finish when it has deteriorated to the point of failure, usually seen as lifting, flaking-off, or pitting on the horizontal surfaces.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

No I don't think it's that bad. This whole story is happening on my hood. The rest of the car is glossy and fairly nice. If you look at the hood real close you can see scoring like tiny ##. I thought is was caused by oxidation. Maybe it's the clearcoat breaking. Hard to tell on white... it is rough and dull. I would like to do what I can for it until I can save for paint.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberslug
                  No I don't think it's that bad. This whole story is happening on my hood. The rest of the car is glossy and fairly nice. If you look at the hood real close you can see scoring like tiny ##. I thought is was caused by oxidation. Maybe it's the clearcoat breaking. Hard to tell on white... it is rough and dull. I would like to do what I can for it until I can save for paint.
                  Hey,

If the marks look like little snowflakes with lines at right angles to one another, then that is the beginning of clear coat failure. Sadly, that will require a repaint as no detailing product will help. Sorry.

Tim
                  Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

I think you may be correct. I'll try and get some pics up to verify. Thank you guys for your time.

Comment

This crosshatch pattern of what looks like scratches or cracks in the paint is a sign the clear coat has lost its integrity, polishing may help by smoothing the surface, (a little), at least for what's left, but once it gets to this point it's pretty much over with.

At this point, then using a cleaner/wax my actually tint the paint but it's not actually tinting the paint as it's penetrating into these cracks and once in there it's hard for you with your hand to wipe it out of the cracks because of their size your cloth isn't going to get into them.

Remember the heat created by the engine is a factor that sometimes will cause the paint on the hood to go before other areas.

Have you always owned this car or was it like this when you purchased it?
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I think you are right on. I am the 2nd owner of this car, i got it this way. Being a turbo, under hood temps are very high. I am going to try scratch-x and see what happens. If it doesn't help no loss I guess. Thanks again guys, I you just got a customer for life (Wife's car has nice paint).... I've never gotten customer service this good and it's even way off-hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by cyberslug

Thanks again guys, I you just got a customer for life (Wife's car has nice paint)....

I've never gotten customer service this good and it's even way off-hrs.
                          We try harder...

Hope for the best...
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');