• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I care for Single Stage Paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I care for Single Stage Paint?

I just have repainted my 1972 MGB with a single stage paint. The color is teal blue, which is a medium blue. What products do you recommend for this type of paint?

I was told by the paint shop not to wax for a few months and just use a polish for now.

Hi mjm813,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Sounds like a nice color for that car. You want to take care of a single stage paint just like you want to take care of a clear coat finish except that in most cases you'll find single stage paints more forgiving to work on and easier to create a deep wet look as compared to a clear coat finish.

When you're painter told you to hold off an applying a wax that was to allow any residual solvents and other ingredients in the paint to outgas.

Waxes, or paint protectant by their very nature are products formulated to seal the paint and thus protect it, for this reason you don't want to apply a wax to fresh paint.

On the other hand, all of Meguiar's polishes are completely safe for fresh paint as they won't seal the paint and will allow any solvents to continue to outgas throughout the curing, drying and hardening process.

For more information on this topic, here's an article I wrote that delves into the deeper things about fresh paint.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

As for how to take care of a new paint job, here's a related link on how to take care of a new car, skip the waxing step and all the information still applies.

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

Probably the most important thing you can do if you wash your car yourself is to get a high quality car wash soap, a plush wash mitt and a Grit Guard Insert

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Besides the above, here's the best advice I've ever heard when it comes to taking care of a car that's important to you...

”Find something you like and use it often”

If you find a product you like, then apparently the results look good in your eyes, if you use it often, then your finish will always look great. It's only when you begin to neglect or abuse the finish that it goes down hill.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike, I'd like to take a second to point out that mjm813 has the perfect opportunity here, the one that we ALL wish we had; the chance to care for the finish right from the start. Even a new car owner doesn't usually get that!

So I'll ask, do you think that the use of a glaze at this stage, maybe #5, will pay off handsomely down the line in improved depth of finish?

Tom
          As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Tom/Mike:
            Thank you both for replying . I have a couple of more questions:

Would number Show Glaze #7 work better? Can I use #7 with an orbital buffer on new paint or should I do it by hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca
              Mike, I'd like to take a second to point out that mjm813 has the perfect opportunity here, the one that we ALL wish we had; the chance to care for the finish right from the start. Even a new car owner doesn't usually get that!

So I'll ask, do you think that the use of a glaze at this stage, maybe #5, will pay off handsomely down the line in improved depth of finish?

Tom
              I don't see where were different on our approach, if you look above I recommended using a pure polish, M05 is a pure polish.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by mjm813
                Tom/Mike:
                Thank you both for replying . I have a couple of more questions:

Would number Show Glaze #7 work better? Can I use #7 with an orbital buffer on new paint or should I do it by hand?
                #7 is a great product for taking care of your brand new paint and yes you can apply it with an orbital buffer. If you're talking about a traditional orbital buffer with an 11" or 12" bonnet on it, then you're going to use a lot of product just saturating the bonnet.

If it were mine, I would use a soft, clean foam applicator pad and apply a thin coat of the #7 Show Car Glaze and then remove it using a clean, soft microfiber polishing cloth or a clean, soft 100% cotton terry cloth towel.

Remember, pure polishes should be applied using a thin coating, not a thick coating. also, pure polishes by Meguiar's don't have to dry and shouldn't be left to dry, instead, apply a thin coat and then remove it. Some people apply a section at a time and then remove it while a lot of skilled professionals apply to the entire car and then remove it.

Your car is small enough I think you could easily apply it to the entire car and there remove it all at once.

Also, when removing, don't try to take it all off at once, but instead, remove most of it and move on, and then remove what you didn't get with a second pass using these techniques...

Final Wiping Techniques
                Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

mjm813- The #5 vs. #7 (and also #3/#81/Deep Crystal Step #2) will boil down to personal preference. Like Mosca, I sorta prefer #5 as it's downright idiot-proof. But if you use #7 properly it'll give the best look, especially on single stage.

Whichever pure polish you use, you'll have to redo it after every wash (one reason why I like the easier #5 for use during the curing period).
                  Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                    I don't see where were different on our approach, if you look above I recommended using a pure polish, M05 is a pure polish.
                    Yep, I understand that; I'm asking a little bit different question. Aside from the glaze providing gloss, a little bit of protection, and allowing outgassing at this stage, do you think that the paint will look better a couple years down the road because of the way it got cared for in the first couple months, with the glaze? Or do you think that it will look about the same, that the extra care at this stage makes it look better now but will have no affect on the appearance down the road?

What I hypothesize is that the extra care today will help smooth the paint, but I have absolutely no reason to think that other than it makes sense. I could be right, I could be 100% wrong. Personally I would always err on the side of "care for the paint".

Tom
                    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

take a look at joe's mg exteme makeover
                      Patrick Yu
                      2003 Honda Accord
                      2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca

Do you think that the paint will look better a couple years down the road because of the way it got cared for in the first couple months, with the glaze?

Or do you think that it will look about the same, that the extra care at this stage makes it look better now but will have no affect on the appearance down the road?

Tom
                        Instead of thinking, let's look at history, history shows paint that is cared for looks better and lasts longer than paint that is neglected. (Assuming the paint in question is on a daily driver exposed to wear and tear.

Also, whether the owner of a freshly painted car applies something or not, keep in mind often times someone at the body shop applied something, this could be as little as a hand applied glaze or a wet sand, cut and buff using a number of different compounds, polishes and glazes. Often times the owner of the car may pick it up from the body shop and never know what was done to it in total.

Meguiar's has been making pure polishes for paint ever since paint has been applied to cars, knowing this, if it were my car, I would apply a pure polish to the paint after taking my car home.

I know plenty of people have picked up their car from the body shop, parked the car in a clean, dry garage and let it sit untouched for a month while the paint cures, dries and hardens.

Either way, in the big picture, maintaining the car will insure the car will always look good versus neglecting.
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');