• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to polish fiberglass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to polish fiberglass?

Jetski detail

Tomorrow im doing my first Jetski. It belongs to a friend & i was wondering if anyone had and tips for working on fiberglass?
    Is it harder to work on than a traditional clearcoat for cars?
    A shop down the road has the Meguiars Marine line available if needs be.
    It definately needs some sort of cleaner as the yellow looks like it has a fair bit of dirt in the paint.

I have a PC and a Rotary.

Regards
    All people give pleasure : some when they arrive, others when they leave

What you need to find out is if the Jet Ski is painted with a marine coating like Linear Polyurethane paint, or if it's a gel-coat finish.

The most important reason why is to know what you're working on and it will also be an indicator as to how thick the coating is as usually gel-coats are thicker than sprayed-on coatings.

A general rule of thumb when working on anything is to follow the Meguiar's Philosophy,

"Always use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

So after evaluating the finish, use the least aggressive product to get the job done. In our Marine line, we offer a number of different products for removing defects and oxidation and restoring gloss and shine.

In order of least aggressive to most aggressive,
    • * One Step Cleaner/Wax - Fairly Aggressive Cleaner/Wax
      * Color Restorer - Aggressive Oxidation and Swirl & Scratch Remover
      * Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover - Very Aggressive Oxidation and Swirl & Scratch Remover
      * One-Step Compound - Very, Very Aggressive Oxidation and Swirl and Scratch Remover

The last three products will need to be followed with a secondary polishing process with a polish followed by wax.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');