• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

paint cleaner on windows/wheels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paint cleaner on windows/wheels?

anyone every use dc#1 on your wheels? How about window glass? Is it safe? I have 02 Impala with factory wheels(look like the 94-96 ss wheels) I think they are brushed aluminum or something and they have stains on them, looks like either rust or some sort of residue I have already used the dc#1 on these stains and it did remove them, I just want to know if it is safe to use, I would like to do all four rims like this
    clay
    dc#1
    nxt metal polish
    gc wax
    windows same way minus the metal polish
    does this sound right? Am I doing unnessary steps? for the windows they are just really spotted(hard water stains) and the car looks great when detailed but the windows and sun roof mess up the sleekness of the look because they are not "as smooth as glass". any suggestion or comments please?

Re: paint cleaner on windows/wheels?

Originally posted by Andrew
    anyone every use dc#1 on your wheels? How about window glass? Is it safe? I have 02 Impala with factory wheels(look like the 94-96 ss wheels) I think they are brushed aluminum or something and they have stains on them, looks like either rust or some sort of residue I have already used the dc#1 on these stains and it did remove them,
    If DC1 didn't remove the stains, DC2 isn't going to either as it's a pure polish, completely non-abrasive.

When you applied the DC1 did your application cloth turn dark gray from oxidized aluminum coming off or did it more or less stay the color of the DC1? If it didn't turn your cloth dark gray or even black, then this is a pretty good indicator your wheels are either clear coated or anodized. If they're clear coated, try some ScratchX or NXT All Metal Polish, if they're anodized there's nothing you can do.

windows same way minus the metal polish
    does this sound right?

Am I doing unnecessary steps? for the windows they are just really spotted(hard water stains) and the car looks great when detailed but the windows and sun roof mess up the sleekness of the look because they are not "as smooth as glass". any suggestion or comments please?
    Read through this entire thread, not just the first page, but the entire thread.

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

Then when you're done, read all of these and you'll be up to speed on products and procedures.

List 'O Links

Many of the things we cover in our Saturday Classes are discussed and talked about in the threads found in the sub-forums of the Information Station

For example,

Circles or Straight Lines?
    Which LSP is Best for Light Colors
    How To Remove Swirls By Hand
    Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line
    How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX
    How to locate Meguiar’s Professional & Detailer products in your hometown
    How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test
    The Dual Action Counterweight "Controversy"
    What are the Differences Between Meguiar's Waxes
    What's the Deal with "Layering"?
    Measuring Clear Coat Thickness
    Rotary vs. PC vs. Regular Orbital Buffer
    Glass Polishing...Deep Cleaning
    NXT Tech Wax Cure Time
    Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car
    Colored Waxes - Do they really work?
    PC + #83 not "Cutting" it! - The Limits of the Dual Action Polisher
    What it Means to Remove a Scratch
    Why Meguiar’s Recommends Polishing Paint
    Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
    A Lesson From White Paint
    Each one, teach one... Ferrari Fiorano 355 F1 Spider
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

hvcut #4
      thanks for the reply and links mike! looks like I have a lot of reading to do I have already tried to remove these stains with the nxt all metal polish and it didn't work but my wheels sure were bright the DC#1 DID remove the stain on one of my wheels, I was asking if it was safe to use and I gather that it is, I do not have a DA yet, so if the dc #1 doesn't work on the windows I will try the heavy cut cleaner #4 by hand and if that doesn't work then I have to save my pennies for a DA.
      What about the hard water spot remover from the marine line of products? Isn't made for this situation? as always thanks for any and all advice from the master

Comment

status

o.k. after claying my windows I tried the dc#1 on glass with a random orbitial buffer(B&D) and then put a couple coats of gold class wax after that, the clay and cleaner did lessen the apperance of the water spots but they are still there, so I will try the heavy cut cleaner #4 with a terry cloth like mike said, but I was woundering about scratchX? could I try this on the glass? mike said if my wheels were clear coated I could use on them but what about the glass? anyone ever try it? what about with a buffer?

Comment

You can try it, but I believe #4 will be your best bet. It has to do with how the abrasives break down or soemthing.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: status

o.k. after claying my windows I tried the dc#1 on glass with a random orbital buffer (B&D) and then put a couple coats of gold class wax after that, the clay and cleaner did lessen the appearance of the water spots but they are still there,

so I will try the heavy cut cleaner #4 with a terry cloth like mike said,

but I was wondering about ScratchX? could I try this on the glass?

Actually, I did my best in my first post in the thread I included in my answer to you to explain why M04 will work and all of the others will not... allow me to copy and paste my answer from the thread link I included so that it can be read here,

• http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...&threadid=4930

Next time try this by hand with a piece of terry cloth or by machine with a W=7006 foam cutting pad.

#4 Heavy Cut Cleaner

It will work so much better than either of the two product you tried because of the type of diminishing abrasive this product uses. Next time you're around a bottle of #4 Heavy Cut Cleaner, shake up the bottle and pour a little into your fingers and then rub your fingers back and forth. You will easily feel the diminishing abrasives, (if you continue to rub your fingers together your will feel the diminishing abrasives breakdown and disappear).

Now, feel any of the products in the 80's series, such as the #84 Compound Power Cleaner in the same way and it will feel like you're rubbing a soft, smooth hand lotion between your fingers.

The difference is the 80's series uses microscopic diminishing abrasives while the traditional Mirror Glaze products use for lack of a better term, macroscopic diminishing abrasives.

It is this larger size diminishing abrasive particle that cuts, or slices through the film that has built up on the surface of your glass and polishes it off.

Liquid glass cleaners don't offer this polishing effect. When ever I detail a customers car, I'll almost always machine polish their glass with this system so that the glass is a glossy and shiny as the paint. When you do this and you've detailed the car correctly, the finished look jumps out at you! because everything on the car is gleaming.

In Oregon and Washington, I ran into a lot of people with horrendous water spots on their glass, as such, I have a lot of experience polishing glass.

If you continue to read all the way through this thread, more and more questions are brought up about cleaning glass and why M04 works and not other products and if read this thread I think I make a pretty good case for a reason to seek out a PBE store and purchase 16 ounce bottle of M04 and cut out a piece of terry cloth towel about 5" square and go to town on your window glass.

Note: It's still not a wipe-on, wipe-off process, you have to,

'"Put some passion behind your pad"
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

thanks again for the reply mike, I don't mean to beat a dead horse; I'm just enthusiastic and want to try anything I have b/c I will probably have to order the #4, I stopped at O'Reillys and Autozone so far and neither store has it in stock. I did read the threads you gave me I just like to get advice/feedback from the guys who's cars I want mine to look like

Comment

Just dropping in.... I followed Mike suggestion on using #4 on glass... and it works great! Not something I use every time I clean my windows but every few months and especially after winter has passed.

Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I will probably have to order the #4

Here, read this and then try the third method, it's a sure fire way to find a PBE store.

How to locate Meguiar’s Professional & Detailer products in your hometown

Note what the article says,

"Important Note: After you locate a PBE Store in your hometown, upon exploring the store, if you do not find the Meguiar's product you are looking for, whether it be a Professional Line product or a Detailer Line product, but you do see other Meguiar's products in tan bottles with numbers, rest assure they can order the specific product you're looking for, simply ask one of the counter people if they can help you out. Sometimes it will help if you have either a Meguiar's Professional Catalog with your are the part number for the product you are looking for. For example, if you're dying to try out Meguiar's very popular quick detailer in the *New* Detailer Line, the part number is D15501 and the name is Last Touch Spray Detailer

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Just out of curiousity, has anyone tried using Poorboy's SSR 2.5 on glass to the same effect?

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');