• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safe To Use Paint Cleaner, Clay Bar and Scratch X in That Order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe To Use Paint Cleaner, Clay Bar and Scratch X in That Order?

Hi guys,

I want to be 100% sure that i have got my car detailing project in the right order whe it comes to product application.

I just want to make sure that its safe to use Mequiars Paint Cleaner, then applying the Clay Bar then applying Scratch X in that order.

If so, this is how my detail process will look for my 97 Silver Altima-

1) Wash
    2) Mequiars Paint Cleaner
    3) Clay Bar
    4) Mequiars Scratch X
    5) Mequiars Deep Clean Polish
    6) Mequiars NXT Wax

Let me know what you guys think.
    97 Altima GXE.....No Mods Yet

Re: Safe To Use Paint Cleaner, Clay Bar and Scratch X in That Order?

1) Wash
    3) Clay Bar
    4) Mequiars Scratch X
    6) Mequiars NXT Wax

1. Wash
    2. Clay Bar
    3. Paint Cleaner
    4. Scratch X ** If you going to use SX all over, then skip step 3. If just spot using SX then these steps are fine
    5. Polish
    6. NXT Wax - 2 thin coats

Enjoy
    Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

Re: Safe To Use Paint Cleaner, Clay Bar and Scratch X in That Order?

Originally posted by dreamer1uk

1) Wash
      3) Clay Bar
      4) Mequiars Scratch X
      6) Mequiars NXT Wax

Are you trying to remove swirls or scratches? Are they over the entire car?

1) Wash - Good
      2) Clay Bar - This should be just after a wash and dry and use lots of lube(quik detailer)
      3) You only realy need one paint cleaner, if you are trying to remove swirls over the entire vehicle go with ScratchX and skip the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner - OR - If you are just trying to clean the paint and remove some scratches here and there, go with Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner and use ScratchX only where needed.
      4) Mequiars Deep Clean Polish - Good
      5) Mequiars NXT Wax (2 coats) - Good, but might consider adding a second coat to ensure even protection

Edit: what Magic said.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have alot of Swirls on my car and one or two scratches that i can feel deepen with my finger nail.

So, looks like ill be using ScratchX all over the car instead of the Deep Paint Cleaner

Comment

[QUOTE
          So, looks like ill be using ScratchX all over the car instead of the Deep Paint Cleaner [/QUOTE]

Ouch!!

Your arms will be killing you. Try and break it up if you can.. Like a panel a week, and just toss on a coat of wax untill all complete. Or invest in the G100, it's the best investment I've made. I'll never go back to working by hand again.
          Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

Hi,

I dont mind the hard work using my hands. Ive heard too many horror stories with using a buffing machine so im using my hands for now.
            I plan to get up at 6am on Saturday to start the detailing project and get what i can then, then finish off on Sunday.
            Ill post pics too

Comment

Hi,
              I was just looking over some other threads and i saw another Mequiares product that sparked my interest - Color X. Would you guys recomend me using that too? or leaving it alone for now?

Comment

Nah,

I got all the steps covered.. Color X wouldn't be necessary.

It's good for a quick wax when time is short, since it has all 3 steps in 1 bottle (Light Cleaner/Polish/Wax). You'll get better results using each step one at a time, like you listed.

Ive heard too many horror stories with using a buffing machine
                I can't tell you how easy this machine was to use. I'll admit I was nervous the first time. So I figured I needed to get my fears out of the way.

I put #80 on my pad and put it on setting 5, I placed it on my truck and I turned it on. Using about 15 lbs of pressure, I left it on one spot (about 4-5min) almost dry buffed. I removed the polish and inspected the finish. Not a mark on it!

FWIW - It's almost impossible to remove all swirls by hand. It will look better than before, but if your like most of us, you'll want better.
                Last edited by Magic; Mar 16, 2006, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');