• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sponge vs Wash Mitt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sponge vs Wash Mitt

Greetings,

I was looking in my Meguiar's Canada catalogue since I will need to purchase another wash mitt and I noticed that Meguiar's also makes a wash sponge. I was wondering if any of you have used it before and if you like it compared to a conventional wash mitt.

Thanks.
    '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Which sponge? A regular foam one? Or the one with the chenille covering on it? You definitely want something with some nap on it so any grit from the surface can bury itself in the nap as you wash, and not be dragged across the surface causing scratches. Of course, you also want the particles to be easily released in the rinse bucket. Although some people are horrified by this, I have good success using the Quick Detail Pad as a wash sponge.

Comment

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy
      Which sponge? A regular foam one? Or the one with the chenille covering on it? You definitely want something with some nap on it so any grit from the surface can bury itself in the nap as you wash, and not be dragged across the surface causing scratches. Of course, you also want the particles to be easily released in the rinse bucket. Although some people are horrified by this, I have good success using the Quick Detail Pad as a wash sponge.
      Concerning your using the Quick Detail Pad as a Wash tool. I'd say it would probably make a fine one. I guess it would depend on the severity of the dirt involved, and how clean you normally keep the vehicle. I have several other wash tools, but I don't think I would have any issue switching to the QDP as an alternative in a pinch.

One thing I did want to mention was this though. I own about 15 of the things and early on I was using them all the time for QDs and hand washed with Dawn prior to placing in the washing machine with woolite. The fabric would hold up well but the spong material inside started breaking down after several washes. If I had one the developed a broken seam then all the spong material would come out and embed itself in every other fabric I washed them with. So I have since switched to hand washing these separately from all other fabrics.

Some of mine are only about 1.5" thick now. Very flimsy but still usable for a QD as needed. I have since switched to using the Ultimate Wipes and the SSMFs as well. But I do keep the QDPs in house and in the truck as they still come in handy for quickies.
      Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Hm...that's interesting. I have several that I have been using for washing (I actually don't think I have used any for QD yet), and I haven't had any split open even though I usually machine wash them after use. I bought something similar which actually split on the first wash, and that one had a larger, stiffer sponge. I think one of the things that makes the QDP so good for washing is that it gets very soft when wet, very conformable. Do you think that rather than the sponge breaking down from your washing regimen it is like that from the beginning? As I said, mine seem to be fine, and they don't seem any different when they are dry than they did when they were new.

Comment

I was referring to the Gold Class sponge which is basically a regular foam sponge from what I see in the picture.
          '96 Honda Prelude

www.vbautodetailing.com

Comment

I looked at the Meg's Canada site and I don't see any GC sponge except the foam applicator pad. As I stated previously, I would stick with chenille, lambswool, or microfiber, rather than a sponge with a flat surface.

Comment

It sounds like 96Lude is refering to the Professional Grade Wash Sponge, or at least thats what it is called in the US online store.

Professional Grade Sponge
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

yep its in the canadian catalogue too
                i have only tried it 5-6 times but its great for those who don't like mitts

and a plus is when you squeeze it a limitless suply of foam comes out and it looks really cool
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord
                2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Smith
                  Concerning your using the Quick Detail Pad as a Wash tool. I'd say it would probably make a fine one. I guess it would depend on the severity of the dirt involved, and how clean you normally keep the vehicle. I have several other wash tools, but I don't think I would have any issue switching to the QDP as an alternative in a pinch.

One thing I did want to mention was this though. I own about 15 of the things and early on I was using them all the time for QDs and hand washed with Dawn prior to placing in the washing machine with woolite. The fabric would hold up well but the spong material inside started breaking down after several washes. If I had one the developed a broken seam then all the spong material would come out and embed itself in every other fabric I washed them with. So I have since switched to hand washing these separately from all other fabrics.

Some of mine are only about 1.5" thick now. Very flimsy but still usable for a QD as needed. I have since switched to using the Ultimate Wipes and the SSMFs as well. But I do keep the QDPs in house and in the truck as they still come in handy for quickies.
                  I've used the qd pads only for using a detail spray, I never used it for washing, but they pick up soo much dirt and turn kinda black, but once I hand wash them, they're good as new. I haven't had a problem with the stitching breaking. And I would recommend sticking with the wash mitts. I like then because they can go around into tight places and can curve around the edges and rounded off parts of the car.

Comment

While I used to use wash sponges, such as the one Murr linked, I now only use wash mitts. If these Meguiar's are the ones that I used (I do believe they are), they are a good quality piece.

If nothing else, the mitts seem to glide over the surface, where the sponge seems to grab. This alone tells me a mitt is easier on the painted surface.

Mitts work better over rough edges and don't chip like a sponge does.

I think mitts do far better getting into tight spaces without extra pressure. Often, a sponge would be too big and not loose enough to fit into side moldings or inside badges.
                    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Originally posted by Setec Astronomy
                      Hm...that's interesting. I have several that I have been using for washing (I actually don't think I have used any for QD yet), and I haven't had any split open even though I usually machine wash them after use. I bought something similar which actually split on the first wash, and that one had a larger, stiffer sponge. I think one of the things that makes the QDP so good for washing is that it gets very soft when wet, very conformable. Do you think that rather than the sponge breaking down from your washing regimen it is like that from the beginning? As I said, mine seem to be fine, and they don't seem any different when they are dry than they did when they were new.
                      I think the problem was self inflicted. I pre washed with dawn, sometimes high concentrations. and I also dried on high in the dryer. I washed after every use and early on I only had a few of these. I suspect the high concentration of dawn along with the high heat of the dryer I was using back then was the culprit.

Since then I have changed my cleaning routine and they seem to be holding up quite well now. So it was either the dawn or the dryer breaking it down.

As far as the spong breaking down. I have several without broken seams that are 1.5" flat or so. The ones that develope the broken seams have since been pitched. I think I have 3-4 of the flat ones. Used one today as a matter of fact. Still works fine but when those seams break in the washer/dryer, I had little chunks of spong embedded in all my MFs. Pain in the butt.

To be honest. I almost like them a little better when they are flat. Very easy to get into tight places with.
                      Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');