• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do I apply what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do I apply what?

Here's the plan. I wanna strip my car of all its wax and start over from the beginning.I am gonna clay my car as soon as i get a few days of consecutive sunshine. I have Meguiars Deep Crystal System Polish, NXT paste wax, and i am about to go buy some kind of sealant/glaze stuff. In what order do i do all this? How long should i wait before applying the different steps? Also, i plan on doing all of this by hand. What kind of applicator should i use, a microfiber or a foam one? tia.
    WHOOP!

to MOL
    yep first you want to clay (after you have washed) then use a paint cleaner like DC step 1 then go to you DC step 2 polish. With DC1 and DC2 you can wipe then off right after you are done working them in. If you let it dry it will be hard to remove!

then wax with the NXT do one coat of the NXT, remove with a microfiber, dont expose the paint to any water for 24 hours and do another coat and boom you have a show car shine!
    i cant tell you which applicator to use but both should be fine i use faom because it is all that i can get

heres some good reading:
    How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test
    The 5-Step Paint Care Cycle.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain
    NXT Tech Wax Cure Time
    A Question on Wax Bonding and the Potential of Interference by a Quick Detailer
    What's the Deal with "Layering"?
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

thanks sneek... what about glaze/sealant stuff? I want my car to look as wet and glossy as possible. When should i apply it in the grand scheme?
      WHOOP!

Comment

you already have NXT which is pretty good 2 coats should make you car look wet!

if you are really obsessive you can order M21 which looks amazing too just do a search for M21! good luck
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord

Comment

would i put sealant on after the polish? or after waxing?
          WHOOP!

Comment

sealant/wax goes after the polishing step
            reading this might explain it(they are pretty much the same kinda thing)
            Synthetic Polymer/Sealant vs. Wax
            Patrick Yu
            2003 Honda Accord

Comment

Dont worry, it may take a little while to get used to Meguiars terminology, and not confused between other companies terminology.

Meguairs tends to mix and match some terminolgy sometimes, so wax=sealant, and polish = glaze.

Other companies use cleaner/ polish/wax/sealant/glaze to mean all kinds of things, so just try and stick Meguiars terminology in your head for now.

Wash
              Clay
              Cleaner
              Polish
              Wax
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

should i do two coats of polish too, just to make sure i get an even application?
                WHOOP!

Comment

Originally posted by GigEmAgs07
                  should i do two coats of polish too, just to make sure i get an even application?
                  No. The idea is to do a good job of applying one application.

Be sure to read the entire 5-Step Paint Care Cycle, I wrote it and it's fairly exhaustive on the products and procedures, it contains a lot of information that will help you understand what your doing and why you're doing it.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');