• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next car to detail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next car to detail

Ok so the next car for me to detail is a 1997 Mazda 626. I've done a 626 before so I'm used to them. In fact, the person's 626 I detailed sold it and got this one in place of it. Same year and everything. This one's paint is in baad condition though. What I'm working with is: flaking clear coat on the roof (about 5 spots, ranging in size from 3 inch diameter to about 8 inches wide by 10 inches long), the WORST swirls I have EVER seen (looking at it in the sun, with the sun's reflection in the middle of the hood, the swirls extend all the way to the edges of the hood), and oxidized hood and rear bumper. I got started on this today. What I have done so far is:
    Wash with Deep Crystal Car Wash
    Clay horizontal surfaces
    ScratchX the whole roof and a little of the hood (I ran out of time for the rest of the car)
    ColorX whole car
    ScratchX headlights (I couldn't find PlasticX...it turns out it was right in the bottom of the crate )
    Wipe elbow grease off of roof (just kidding)
    I spent about 6 hours on this car so far. I am willing to spend a while on it because I want it to look good.

Now the question is, what else should I do? I did what I knew to do, but what else should I do to keep it protected (I'm assuming I will need to wax it often)? Also, is there anything I can do for where the clear coat is missing to halt the loss of it? Basically, any suggestions y'all have would be MUCH appreciated.

I don't have a PC or anything like that yet. Hopefully soon I can get one, but it won't be for at least a month probably.

Thanks in advance!!

-Lydia
    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Re: Next car to detail

Originally posted by Lydia
    What I'm working with is: flaking clear coat on the roof (about 5 spots, ranging in size from 3 inch diameter to about 8 inches wide by 10 inches long)
    Not much you can do when the clear is flaking. I take it that it's now just showing base coat? I wouldn't recommend even putting wax on base coat since it normally just makes it look worse.

For the clear that remains on the roof, using a good wax to keep it protected is about all that can be done until the inevitable peeling spreads.
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');