• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light oxidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light oxidation

First off hello to everybody. I am new to the meguiars detail scene. I found a slight blemish after washing my car. Here is the steps I took.

1. Washed with NXT Car Wash
    2. Applied Meguiars Cleaner Wax (Liquid)

After doing this I noticed what I think is light oxidation. I tried to take a photo to show your guys. I do all of my waxing by hand.

I know its had to see in the photo, the dull spot leads me to think its oxidation. For some reason I did not notice it until I had put on the wax.

What steps can I take to fix this?
    Attached Files

Well, hard to tell from the pic, but certainly could be a bit of oxidation. Nxt wax wont remove anything like that. You will need some sort of a paint cleaner to start off with.

Have you done any claying/cleaning/polishing before, or just sticking with wash and wax?

Let me give you a bit of reading to look over, I am sure it will get you started. And probably open up a few new questions...

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

A Lesson From White Paint

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hi cyconley,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

From the picture it's hard to see, but I can make out what looks like a lighter area on the paint.

If a well applied application of our cleaner wax didn't improve it, you may have to try a more aggressive product like a dedicated paint cleaner like ScratchX or it could be the clear coat is starting to deteriorate in this area and if this is the case nothing will fix it but repainting the car.

Is this a clear coat you're working on?
      How old is the car?
      Is it parked outside all of the time in Florida sun?

Also, we have a class in Tampa, Florida coming up,

And a drawing for a free prizes for forum members you might want to check out.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Is this a clear coat you're working on?
        I think so. The clear coat seems fine everywhere else.

How old is the car?

Is it parked outside all of the time in Florida sun?
        For now yes.

Will I need to remove the wax on that part of the fender to apply ScratchX?

Comment

ScratchX will remove any wax you put on beforehand.

Comment

Here are some more photos just in case.

Comment

Whenever I hear 'oxidation', I immediately think of ColorX

Comment

Doesnt seem like anything severe at least.

Just go through the full 5 step detail next time you detail, and that should solve the problem. DC#1 can clear up light oxidation, but you can try scratchX as well if you want on those spots.

If you are short on time/effort, then do as sseeper mentioned, and get some ColorX. Do a detail like this:

1. Wash
                2. Clay
                3. ColorX
                4. A coat of Nxt.

You will greatly increase your results if you at least do those 4 steps.

Comment

Clear coat paints oxidize very slowly compared to single-stage finishes. Often times when this topic comes up on this forum, what is first perceived as oxidation later turns out to be clear coat failure.

Clear coat failure is when the clear paint has deteriorated to the point where it usually begins to have a whitish look to it and eventually begins to flake or peel off. Severe clear coat failure looks as though the car has a bad rash.

Here are some examples of extreme clear coat failure.

Here's a recommendation for you, simply get some ScratchX, (a dedicated paint cleaner for removing swirls, scratches and oxidation), or ColorX, (a strong cleaner/wax that will remove swirls, scratches and oxidation), and then apply some to an area that looks like oxidation to you, work the product in well and work it against the finish like described in the below article, and after applying and working the product to a small section, wipe it off and inspect the paint.

If it looks better, that is more clear and glossy, then you have oxidation and proceed to duplicate this step using this product over the entire finish.

If the section you work remains somewhat like how it started, that is whitish and dull, then chances are very good what you're looking at is the beginning stages of clear coat failure and there isn't much you can do to reverse the process or the damage that has already occurred.

Here's an article that explains how to apply and work into the finish ScratchX, but you can apply ColorX the same way for cleaning the finish.

How to remove a defect by hand with ScratchX

Give one of these suggestions a try and let us know your results.
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');