• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#82-correct procedure with a PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #82-correct procedure with a PC?

I was working on a black Nissan this past weekend and I tried the standard #80 with a 8006 pad on my PC but it was too agressive. I had a sample of #82 and eventually determined that using it with a finishing pad on a speed of #5 worked great removing the marring and slight swirls. I have never used this product before so I was unsure of the correct procedure so I used the same procedue I do with #80 with less pressure on the machine, but still moved it slowly, overlapping, and in different directions. Problem I had is that it did not break down like #80 does, so I did not know how long to work it. Also when I tried to remove it it was gummy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, does #82 have fillers? Thanks.

Mike, when you have a chance can you inform me of the correct procedure and pad while using #82 with a PC? Thanks.

Comment

Hi 74 Thing,

I saw this question get posted when I was teaching this weekend's class after the class was over an I was posting some pictures to this thread before closing down the garage...

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...threadid=12111

Sorry I couldn't get to it at the time but you can only do so much in a single day... then Sunday I took the day off... Now it's Monday and time to play catch-up in e-mail, priorities not related to the forum and of course... forum posts...

So please don't think I or anyone here at Meguiar's was ignoring this post or any post...

As to your question, M82 is a very gentle cleaner/polish especially when applied with a dual action polisher or by hand.

Typically you would use this product for the removal of very fine/shallow defects that you're having a hard time completely removing with another product and or product and process.

On a personal note, I've found on paints that are scratch-sensitive, and usually this means soft but not always), that it's necessary to use a mild product like M82, M09 or even M66 or ColorX to re-polish each panel.

The correct procedure is to use either a polishing pad, or a finishing pad, depending on how aggressive you want the cleaning action, use the polishing pad for more cleaning power and the finishing pad for less cleaning power.

Use a speed setting between 4.0 and 5.0 and light pressure, about 10 pounds or so, not as aggressive as you would M83 or M80 and slow, methodical passes overlap like you said you did.

Your last passes can even be lighter.

As for getting gummy, make sure you're cleaning your pad on the fly, as in often, and don't over use the product. Also be sure to remove any previously applied product before applying more product if you choose to re-polish a panel a second time.

Be very careful when wiping off any excess or left over product because if you're experiencing a micro-marring issue when machine applying a product this is a good indicator you're going to experience a micro-marring problem when you try to wipe any product off the finish, so only use your best, softest, plushes microfibers and a gentle touch.

You might consider giving ColorX or M66 a try on this paint system with a finishing pad also.

As to your filler question, Meguiar's products use a rich lubricating film to prevent scouring. The uniformed on other forums have been misguided and mis-informed to lump all ingredients into one group and simply call them fillers, or products with fillers. Now we have to deal with re-educating everyone with the correct information.

If you haven't read the below thread from beginning to end, I would highly suggest you do so as I have spent a lot of time in this thread explaining and setting the record straight on the topic of fillers.

Hope this helps...
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: #82-correct procedure with a PC?

Originally posted by 74 thing
        I was working on a black Nissan this past weekend and I tried the standard #80 with a 8006 pad on my PC but it was too agressive. I had a sample of #82 and eventually determined that using it with a finishing pad on a speed of #5 worked great removing the marring and slight swirls. I have never used this product before so I was unsure of the correct procedure so I used the same procedue I do with #80 with less pressure on the machine, but still moved it slowly, overlapping, and in different directions. Problem I had is that it did not break down like #80 does, so I did not know how long to work it. Also when I tried to remove it it was gummy. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, does #82 have fillers? Thanks.
        I was having the same problem with my black GMC Z71. I was using #80, 8006, Speed 5. Polishing until the product was all broken down and still had some haze on the finish. Wiped it off and had micro-marring real bad. Long story short, my pad was the problem. I had dried up product on the edge of the pad that was not getting wet/damp and I believe that was the cause. If I used scratchx by hand I got rid of all the micro-marring and my finish looked better using scratchx then it did with machine using #80.

Today as more testing with it, I purchased a new 8006 and 9006 along with #82. I started on the tailgate where I used the 80 and 8006 before as a test spot and I knew I had micro-marring. Ran that at 4.5 with a 9006 pad and it removed all the micro-marring. It not looks great. Then I took my NEW 8006 pad with #80 and went over the same spot that I KNEW was swirl and micro-marred free and ran a pass at speed 5 and same result, NO swirls or micro-marring.

Comment

Thanks Mike and Nice-I will check the pad and clean it more often. 82 did a great job though, just took my time and removed the product using two microfiber towels and hardly any pressure, just like you recommend with #7. Maybe time for a new pad too!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');