• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Paint

I just purchased a '06 Nissan Frontier. The color is black. I wanted to start the detailing off right but wasn't sure when or what to use. The dealer said wait 3 months after manufactured date to put first coat of wax. Can you give me some ideas on what products to start with and if you prefer a washing mitt or brush on black paint.

Well, taking care of black is like taking care of any other color, the same products work fine. Its just that any carelessness, or shortcuts tend to show up very quickly and easily.

I am a fan of the chenile wash pad/sponge products myself.

Give these links a read over to start with, so you get a good foundation going. Then ask away some more

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: New Paint

Originally posted by sbhelwig
      I just purchased a '06 Nissan Frontier.. I wanted to start the detailing off right but wasn't sure when or what to use. The dealer said wait 3 months after manufactured date to put first coat of wax.
      The wait isn't necessary unless it's been repainted after manufacture. Factory paint is a) different from the stuff body shops use and b) baked at a very high temperature that effects immediate curing. You can wax it right away.

Be careful washing, IMO that's were most of the "swirls"/etc. come from. Lots of opinions on how to do it, but whatever you decide, don't press hard or you'll grind dirt into the paint, which will mar it.
      Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');