• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie, help with spiderwebbing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie, help with spiderwebbing

Neat forum, Thanks.

Have used Meguiars products for years and just got a PC orbital buffer to make my paint look even better than the hand work I've done in the past. Especially trying to get rid of spiderwebbing.

I am using the buffer on a 10 year old dark green metallic paint job (Ford) that is in good condition except for a few isolated scratches and the spiderwebbing that covers most of the car. Spiderwebbing can't easily be seen on a sunny day from 15 feet, but is evident under garage light and up close.

I Washed the car, used a clay bar as I have many times in the past, and tried Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner with the buffer and a white polishing pad, using light to moderate pressure (at first I added no pressure to the weight of the buffer, then applied some pressure by hand). Helped slightly, but sure didn't seem to cut out the spiderwibbing much. Seems like I'd have to add a lot of pressure to make a difference.

What would you all suggest? Should I try Swirl Remover - is it stronger than paint cleaner? Should I try a more aggressive pad?

I'm not concerned about the scratches because I know I can take them out by hand with Scratch-X.

Thanks for the help.

Mark

The products you will really want with the PC are #80 Speed Glaze, #83 DACP, and something like #21 Synthetic Sealant.

DC#1 does not have any diminishing abrasives, wich are needed to remove swirls. Give these a read over:

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

Recommended Products - G100a Dual Action Polisher

What it Means to Remove a Scratch

PC + #83 not "Cutting" it! - The Limits of the Dual Action Polisher

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

And once you are back in good shape:

Suggested Products for Taking Care of a New Car

And

of course
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Since you mention pads, you will also want to use the 8006 Polishing Pad with the cleaner/polishes, #80 and #83.

The 9006 Finishing Pad would be used with waxes like #21, pure polishes, or very very mild cleaner polishes if you use one of them.

The #7006 Cutting Pad is used with bonnets to remove wax if you choose to remove wax by machine. DO NOT USE THE CUTTING PAD DIRECTLY ON PAINT.

Hope that helps...
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Murr,

Thanks for the tips and refernce material. I'll check it out before I go any further.

Mark

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');