• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Layering beauty/longevity waxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layering beauty/longevity waxes

Greetings to all.

I usually finish my very dark Grand Cherokee with #26 x 2 or 3, over #7. I don't layer different waxes very often, although #26 over ColorX looks very good. I'm considering layering a "beauty" wax (#26/NXT/S100) with a "longevity" wax (#16/845IW). Logically (to me) I'd put down #26 first for depth/reflection, followed by #16 for durability. I saw in another discussion forum, though, that the top wax will last only as long as the wax below it typically does. With #16 on top, then, it would acquire #26's longevity. This doesn't make sense to me but maybe I should lay down #16 first for durability followed by #26. Anybody have any thoughts. Thinking about doing this because football season decimates my free time. Using a PC by the way. TIA.

I have no personal experience to share, but 2hotford suggested I do the following on my new black car:

clay, 80, 81, #16, topped with #21 (or#26, since the PBE did not have #21).

Comment

Monk - Thanks, that gives me a direction to go. Evidently, you want to lead with the big gun.

Comment

#21 is a pretty big gun....
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
          I have no personal experience to share, but 2hotford suggested I do the following on my new black car:

clay, 80, 81, #16, topped with #21 (or#26, since the PBE did not have #21).
          Just to clarify...

It would be 80, 81, 16, topped with #26

or

80, 81, 21 x 2

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Tim
          Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
            Just to clarify...

It would be 80, 81, 16, topped with #26

or

80, 81, 21 x 2

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Tim
            I no doubt misunderstood, I should have cut and pasted the exchange. I bought the 26 today, just wating for the car now.

Comment

You may want to try #21-#21-NXT Paste. I got that idea from Tim, check out his V10 with that combination. He can give you the link.

RamAirV1
              2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Originally posted by RamAirV1
                You may want to try #21-#21-NXT Paste. I got that idea from Tim, check out his V10 with that combination. He can give you the link.

RamAirV1
                Yep...that is one of my favorite summertime combos!! Here is that link.

Look towards the bottom of the page:

Tim

Comment

Tim - Thanks for the link and y'all answered the question, as usual.

Comment

2hotford - That link was nearly cruel. I not only have to buy some 21, now I gotta buy a truck. Mama ain't gonna be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Jag
                      2hotford - That link was nearly cruel. I not only have to buy some 21, now I gotta buy a truck. Mama ain't gonna be happy.

Tim

Comment

Today, after work I had just enough time to wash my car and only prep and wax the hood (I had done a full wax only two weeks ago, so the rest of the car isn't without protection).

I washed with Gold Class shampoo, clayed the hood, cleaned it with DC#1, polished some trouble spots with #80 (by hand), then #7 over the entire hood. Then I put a thin coat of NXT Tech liquid wax on the hood. Swipe test, and wiped it off. Waited an hour....

Now up to this point, this is fairly routine for all of you. This is what I did differently...

On the passenger's side of the hood, I applied another layer of NXT for the second coat. On the other half of the hood, the driver's side, I applied #16 paste wax.

I didn't have a camera handy, so here's what I can report.

NXT has a pleasant smell, spreads out on silver paint with a slighly white tinge. Only takes about 10 or less minutes to set up according to the "swipe test". Very easy to wipe off, no dusting. Leaves a very slick surface.

#16 Professional Paste Wax has a light blue color to it, in a blue metallic can. It smells like a crayon. While it is very easy to spread too thickly, you can spread it out into a very very thin layer, more so than NXT, it seems. To the point where you can just barely see it in the light. Overall, it seems to spread very clear on silver paint. I can't tell exactly how long it takes to set up, it never passed the swipe test cleanly, even after an hour - perhaps I waited too long? Not as easy to remove as NXT and a slight tendency to dust, especially if you are not careful to spread it out thin. If you do spread it out thin, there's no dust, but it's still not as easy to wipe off as NXT. Also leaves a slick surface.

It was very difficult to determine exactly which one was slicker, but I might give a slight nod to #16. As far as looks and gloss is concerned, it was indistiguishable. I was in inadequate florecent lights, and could not examine under sunlight.

In past usage, it seems that #16 holds the slickness longer than NXT. It also beads MUCH better than NXT, but as stated in other threads, NXT tends to sheet water rather than to bead it.

I will try to report later on how well the waxes are holding up, it may rain this weekend. I will also report on its durability and looks.

Comment

Just an update:

I was able to examine my car critically today underneath the sunlight. I couldn't tell any difference between the NXT + NXT side vs the NXT + #16 side.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');