• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should i do about the dew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should i do about the dew?

What should i do about the dew? I am goign to detail my buddys 318 and he is going to drop it off at night and then pick ut up the next day

i want to use NXT on it but i am afraid that the dew will disrupt the wax from curing? should i just use my good ol' gold class and M26 on his car?
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Re: What should i do about the dew?

Originally posted by sneek
    What should i do about the dew? I am goign to detail my buddys 318 and he is going to drop it off at night and then pick ut up the next day

i want to use NXT on it but i am afraid that the dew will disrupt the wax from curing? should i just use my good ol' gold class and M26 on his car?
    I do alot of my stuff at night outside. It can be a battle and I suspect the results are a little bit less than desired but for me. I still run with it.

It all depends on just how much dew you are talking about. If it's a heavy dew. Skip it. But a light dew can be overcome to a point.

The vertical panels tend to go the easiest as the dew tends to form there last and also the lightest. The horizontals take some time.

If at all possible do all of your horizontal stuff first.

For me, I tend to use the following approach but I have to get started around midnight and the dew is already forming so this might not apply to you depending on when you start.

I would try to do the trunk first, before the dew starts forming. Then jump up to the Hood. Generally the warmth of a recently ran engine tends to keep the dew from forming there until after it starts forming on the roof/trunk. So I start there and then do the 2 front fenders. The same residual heat seems to reside there. Then I go around and complete all the rest of the verticals. When I get close to finishing the verticals, I start the truck and turn the heat up on high. Go up on the roof and QD it it and wipe off the residue. Before the vehicle gets too warm, double back and remove the wax from the trunk, hood and 2 front fenders. By his time your passenger compartment should be warning up a bit and will slow down the dew forming process. Jump back up top and wax the roof, keep the vehicle running and then go back and remove the wax on the remianing verticals. then come back and remove the wax from the roof before it gets to hot.

I usually end up dusting and QDing the whole truck first then I also end up having to re-QD it on a per panel basis as need be.

Now, Have I noticed any negative impacts from doing it at night? No, but I feel way down deep that the results are better when doing it during the day. I would not recommend waxing at night to anyone but there are cases when we have to do what we have to do.

This is all doable. Just foucus on those horizontals. If you can complete those first do it before the dew starts forming. I have tried fans. Had about 4 outside one night. It did not seem to help much and also every bug passing by seemed to take a trip through the fan. I had little hard bugshell pieces all over. Don't do that.

Also. Try making up a temporary cover. Go buy a couple pieces of the disposable painters dropcloth. The thin platic kind. Make up a makeshift canopy if you don't want to buy a decent one right now. Remember dew only falls and is not really blown around by the wind. If you can put anything directly over the vehicle, even something makeshift and temporary, you'll likely not even have to worry about the dew.
    Last edited by Jeff Smith; Apr 24, 2006, 07:43 PM.
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

hehe i actually have a canopy i just forgot about it !...it was a long winter!
      Patrick Yu
      2003 Honda Accord
      2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');