• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speckled finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speckled finish

I have performed a test spot on 6 year old Ford black paint 2000 Mustang. Used the G100, #80. This removed the oxidation, swirls, and I have a very nice glossy finish ( have not even done the LSP yet ), but I have all these speckled looking spots. Went back over my test spot with #83 and then #80 again. The tiny spots are still there. Looks as if I have High lighted these spots. Can only see these spots in direct sun light or when using my 500 watt halogen light stand.

Used 8006 pad, PC at 5, slow arm speed. I am doing something wrong in my technique to cause this? Or are these spots etching that needs a more aggressive approach. Or maybe over spray? I have been all through this car and it has not been repainted though. Also finish has been clayed before I attempted to polish.

Has anyone seen something like this before?

Not Metalic paint is it?

Hard to tell much form the size of the pics...
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

No it is not metallic paint. I can get these pictures to enlarge in the gallery. Not sure why they do not here.

Comment

Maybe this will be better.

Comment

Try and clay the "spots" to see if they can be removed that way.
          As you make a living, don't forget to live.

Comment

Have re-clayed in one spot. Looked like it may have helped some but not much if any.

Comment

Yeah.. it has the look of fine overspray... you may need to work the clay a bit more over the spots, really focus on them, with a little more pressure. See if you can remove anything.

See if any progress can be made. If so, maybe the agressive clay could be in order as well. If not, then we can think about it some more.

Comment

Gee, you're working as we go...

Did you kind of wipe the clay across as one would normaly do, or really focus, with some pressure the second time?

Comment

I was wondering about a more aggresive clay. The clay I have came from Advance Auto. But surface feels mostly smooth with the plastic bag test.

Comment

I did not get too aggresive with the clay.

Comment

Get a little force behind the clay. It is possible to put a little micro-marring on the paint if you have to get agressive with the clay, but overspray can require it. Then come back with the 80/83 to remove the marring.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');