• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mother's Clay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mother's Clay

I realize this may sound like heresy, but does anyone have experience with Mother's clay? I can not find anyone in my local area that carries the Mequiar's clay, but everyone carries Mother's.

Opinions?

TIA,

mikkl

If you can't find Meguiars clay locally, get some Clay Magic. It works better than Mothers and is just as easy to find. Check Autozone, Pep Boys, or other auto parts stores.

RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I agree, Clay Magic IMO will achieve better results than the Mother's clay... I have tried both, since I too had difficulty finding the Meguiar's clay. Luckily I am glad to say that I wandered into a Pep Boys one day and found it... It's a drive to get there but it is very well worth it.
      Erik Mejia

Polishing Paint removes the stress in my life, and the swirls on my car.

Comment

That's kind of funny. My brother and I went to Autozone to pickup some Meguiars quick clay. They didn't have any. They did have some Mother's and Clay Magic. We went with the Clay Magic. When we went to pay, the clerk told us good choice. He says the Clay Magic is as good as the Mother's (even though the Mother's was much more expensive). We would have preferred the Meguiar's, but oh well. The Clay Magic seemed fine.

Comment

Pepboys seems to be carrying the Smooth Surface Kit now. I got one today!
          2000 Nissan Maxima
          2005 Nissan Xterra

Comment

+1 on the Clay Magic...

I have had bad results with the Mothers, with the clay loosing its ability to clean quickly, and not doing a good job when fresh. (On a random side note, I love the smell of their quick detail spray.)

The Clay Magic works as well as Meguairs and does a very very good job. I actually did a test of of the Mothers and Clay Magic side by side on different sides of my mother's Sonata and found that the Clay Magic picked up much more (though in fairness the Clay Magic was fresh while the mothers had done duty on the hood already) on its side and removed pretty much everything, where as the Mother's did very little cleaning and I was able to pick up more when I used the Clay Magic over the Mother's side.
            Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

ugh, my mothers clay is about to get canned. ive used it 3ish times, and i doubt its cleaning anymore.

when you clay a car, you know that sound of the particles being puled out, and when the sound is gone, you move on? the mothers doesnt stop making the sound anymore. as far as i can tell its not scratching (eventhough it sounds like it) but the car is silver and difficult to see swirlmarks

ive used the clay on a brand new car right after i bought it, and once again a couple months later. so it couldnt possibly get that dirty, and it doesnt look dirty (like i would know though)

ive got the smooth surface kit just waiting for the mothers to hit the can (or be transferred to a lesser duty). so atleast there is light at the end of the tunnel
              Lancer Evolution VIII
              I4T

Comment

IMO, you lucky to get three cars outta the Mothers. It stopped working for me about half way through the trunk, after doing a whole hood! So about 1/7th of a car. The Clay Magic did the rest of the car, better, quicker, and more effectively and is still going strong.
                Let's make all of the cars shiny!

Comment

Thanks all!

Now that the Meguiars e-store is up and working again, I ordered their clay directly. The nearest Pepboys is 35 miles away and the cost of driving out there was more than the shipping from Meguiars!

Thank again for the info and the warnings.

mikkl

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');