• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quik Clay Detailing System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quik Clay Detailing System

Excuse me guys,

I just bought a Quik Clay Detailing System. It is my first time claying my car. I am wondering how many cars can the clay bar last ?

If it can clay for more than one car, how do I keep the clay ? Keep it dry or moist ?

Sorry for noob questions

Pls advice

well since clay is packaged dry, I guess storing it dry is the best way to preserve it. However I'd put it into a container to avoid any contaminents entering the clay before you use it.

I've cut my claybar in half upon arrival and used one half on my whole car, it's now brownish instead of white (the car is 17 years old; without serious care) so I won't use that part again but I still have the other half and I guess if your car doesn't have that many contaminents, you might use each half two - three times. Most people also only work on the upper half of the car as it's most prone to catch contaminents.

But I'll leave that up to the more experienced users around here.
    showroomglaze.net

Comment

I believe the box says 4 cars, but it really depends on how dirty the cars are. To store, spray the inside of a ziplock bag and the clay with lube to keep it moist and close the ziplock bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Top Down
        I believe the box says 4 cars, but it really depends on how dirty the cars are. To store, spray the inside of a ziplock bag and the clay with lube to keep it moist and close the ziplock bag.
        Does this mean I cut the clay into 4 pieces ?

Comment

You can, but it might be much harder. I believe Quick Clay comes in a 200 gram bar (correct me if I'm wrong). I like to use 100 gram pieces like how it comes in a Smooth Surface kit (which comes with 2 100 gram bars). IMHO I would only break your piece in two. When using the clay, you constantly roll up the clay and flatten it out to expose a new surface. So theoretically you would use the 100 gram bar on two different occasions. Throw it away if you see it dirty after rolling it up and flattening it out (or you can use it for exhaust tips, wheels, glass, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Yip Jen
            Does this mean I cut the clay into 4 pieces ?
            The clay bar that comes with the Quik Clay System is a 100 gram bar. Most people are able to tear this in half and this will give them two clay bars with enough clay to adequately clay paint and remove above surface bonded contaminants.

How many times you can use a clay bar depends on how contaminated the car is you're claying. There isn't really a number set into concrete on this question and what you need to do is to look at your clay bar after claying your car and make a common sense judgment decision as to the quality or lack thereof of the clay bar.

If it looks really dirty, as in black or brown and you see lots of dirt particles in the clay, then you may want throw it a way and use a new piece the next time you clay your car.

A big picture example

If you always park your car inside a garage or indoor parking structure, you will need to clay your car less often than a person that parks their car outdoors 24 hours a day, 7-days a week.

A clay bar will become used-up on cars parked outside, 24 hours a day, 7-days a week faster than a clay bar used on cars that are always parked indoors and the only time they are outdoors is when they are driven to a location and then back home again.

If the clay bar looks bad as in dirty to you, then don't use it. It's not worth the risk of potentially instilling scratches into your car's finish because you used a dirty clay bar that can be replaced fairly inexpensively as compared to what it's going to cost you in time, money and effort to remove scratches out of your car's finish should you instill them during the claying process.

Does all of this make sense?

Here's a clay bar that is only lightly dirty, which means the paint only had a little bit of above surface bonded contaminants. This clay bar is perfectly safe to put into a sandwich baggie and use again on another day.

Here's clay bar that after claying only the hood is becoming loaded full of above surface contaminants. The paint this clay is being used has been very neglected and thus there is a lot of dirt and other contaminants built-up on the paint. This clay bar will be too dirt to use a second time safely.

Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Our new Smooth Surface Clay Kit comes with two 50 gram clay bars and a small plastic holder to keep the clay bars inside. If you have our Quik Clay System, you can easily cut the 100 gram bar into two pieces and store these pieces inside a Zip-Lock sandwich baggie when not in use.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Also, be sure to read this thread,

How often do I need to clay my car?

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you very much mike. Your info has prepared me to try the clay kit today.

Comment

Originally posted by Yip Jen
                    Thank you very much mike. Your info has prepared me to try the clay kit today.
                    Just remember to wash the car first and then spray the Quik Detailer onto the paint first, and then onto the clay pattie and then rub it around onto the paint.

Keep a clean microfiber cloth nearby and wipe off the Quik detailer and clay residue off the paint as you work around the car. This way you wont' have to re-wash the car and you can move onto the next step.

Good luck, have fun!
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

The clay bar that comes with the Quik Clay System is a 100 gram bar.
                      Oops, sorry I got the size wrong. I just know that the Smooth Surface Kit comes with the same amount, but just split into two.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                        Just remember to wash the car first and then spray the Quik Detailer onto the paint first, and then onto the clay pattie and then rub it around onto the paint.

Keep a clean microfiber cloth nearby and wipe off the Quik detailer and clay residue off the paint as you work around the car. This way you wont' have to re-wash the car and you can move onto the next step.

Good luck, have fun!
                        Hi Mike, can i clay immediately after washing without first drying the whole car, and rinse off the QD with water instead of wiping it with a MF towel?

Comment

Well, not Mike, but you can certainly do it both way.

Either:

1. Wash
                          2. Rinse
                          3. Dry
                          4. Clay, wiping off as you go

Or:

1. Wash
                          2. Rinse
                          3. Clay, rinsing car as you go so it stays wet
                          4. Final Rinse
                          5. Dry

If you are in the shade, you can do the second method. But if you are going to be in the sun, or a warm day in general, you really should go the first way so you dont get water spots. Plus, the first way will use less water if that is a concern in a particlar area.
                          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');