• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on second waxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on second waxing

I have questions on the products to use for the next waxing of my car. My car is a 2006 Corvette Z06 which I picked up last October. After I got the car I washed it carefully and then used Mequiar's Cleaner Wax in some locations to remove any remnants of the plastic wrapping the car arrived with at the dealer. I then applied a coat of Mequiar's Professional Show Car Glaze 7 followed by 2 coats (1 week apart) of Mequiar's NXT Tech Wax. The car looked great after all this.

My question is I want to repeat the process since it has been 6 months and was wondering if after washing the car I should go over the whole car with Mequiar's Cleaner Wax first (or some other product) to clean the finish and remove any water spots, etc. and then apply a coat of Mequiar's Professional Show Car Glaze 7 followed by a coat of Mequiar's NXT Tech Wax.

well i've asked the similar type questions about 100 times. so by now i know this one.

Read this and you should be fine.

but what will do is.

1. wash
    2. clay
    3. tires
    4. wash
    and then whatever you want to do from here.
    5. polish
    6. wax

its all HERE THOUGH.

The 5-Step Paint Care Cycle.

Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step 1 Wash

Step 2 Clean

Step 3 Polish

Step 4 Protect

Step 5 Maintain

GOODLUCK!!!

Comment

Everyone has to ask a bunch of questions at first, but always feels good to be able to start giving answers after a little while.

Read this too. It kind of talks about the importance of using paint cleaners, even just a mild one.

Can you see any swirls, etc that need cleaned up? If not, something nice and mild like DC#1 would be an excellent choice.

Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

So as TrufflePig said:

1. Wash
      2. Clay
      3. Clean - DC#1
      4. Polish - #7
      5. Wax - Nxt Wax.
      6. Wax - Remember, 2 thin coats is best. Try to wait at least 20 minutes between coats, though 12 hours is the best.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

man 12 hours is such a long time between coats i tell ya. especially for me when i'm like "i started and now i just wannag et it done so that i can enjoy it..." type of person...know what i mean.

but are you not suppose to get it wet, moist or anything within the first 24 hours?

i thought i read that some people will do all this and then not drive it until the next day till the product has totally sunk in...

Comment

Well, in theory you will get the best looks by letting the wax sit, and cure for 12 hours.

That said, if it rains an hour later, it isnt like your whole wax job just washed off. Most of the curing is done quickly at first.

And it takes a really good eye to notice the difference between waiting 12 hours and not. I mean, mine is a daily driver, parked outside. I'm certainly not worrying about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
            Can you see any swirls, etc that need cleaned up? If not, something nice and mild like DC#1 would be an excellent choice.
            Just a reminder that the DC#1 is nonabrasive and won't remove marring. The 'vette has hard clear, and removing marring will take a bit of work with products containing (diminishing) abrasives.

If the car's been stored all this time, I'd just wait and evaluate it after the wash. Might only need a fresh coat of NXT, might need cleaned down to bare paint, hard to tell. I myself haven't had to do anything except clay and refresh the LSP on a few of my vehicles for a long, long time.
            Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Seems like I lost a link in my first post:

A Lesson From White Paint

This is what I had mentioned about cleaning paint, etc.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');