• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time using Meguiars NXT Tech Wax - help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time using Meguiars NXT Tech Wax - help needed

I just waxed a brand new silver Civic. After washing it with meguiars car wash mix I dried it and then waxed it.

The polish doesn't make it shine that much. It looks waxed, but about the same as my $5 turtle wax paste. Considering this was 3 times the price, either I got ripped off, or did something wrong.

Any advice? Should the car look like wet paint or very glossy? It doesnt look like I used anything but normal cheap wax.

you have made a very good choice by purchasing nxt wax its a synthetic and should last longer than the turtle wax which is probaly carnuba based...even though you car is new, the paint might still need a thorough cleaning due to unknown variables such as...how long was the car sitting on the lot, water spots, micromarring, swirl marks, rids, tar and who knows what else please refer to this thread please read this

honestly people always say that the wax makes the paint look deep and wet while yes this is true..you must properly prepare the paint...old or new car, the paint should appear glossy and bright prior to applying the wax...remember these few phrases which more seasoned detailers are familar
    1)technique>product
    2)surface prep is important
    3)wash, clean, polish, protect maintain (meguiars famous 5 step cycle)
    while you dont have to clean the paint and polish the paint everytime you wax because who has the time..you should do this 1st time you apply wax, then clean/polish the paint as necessary

Comment

NXT is peculiar in that it looks much better the next day after the polymers have crosslinked. I'm always amazed at how much better my cars look the day after I wax them with NXT.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

I would have to admit that NXT doesn't look all that much better than less expensive waxes *unless* there has been a ton of surface preparation prior to applying it. This means claying and removiing swirls, hairline scratches and other marring with a polish or polishes prior to applying NXT.

Then too silver has the tendency to look "clean and crisp" rather than "wet and glossy".

As far as a "normal cheap wax", you might want to try Meguiars Cleaner/Wax (burgandy bottle). I used to use it on my wife's silver Tacoma and it always looked darned good. It's a great one step product that both cleans the surface and leaves a layer of wax. It is Meguiars most popular wax and it is also the least expensive.

IMO unless you really want to get into serious detailing, stick with a good (and inexpensive) cleaner/wax.

Tom

Comment

Im glad meguiars actually has a working forum. thanks for all the responses.

as for the car. it was brand new (dealer just recevied it and washed it) after i got it home I washed it with meguiars car wash solution and it was pretty clean and shiny as you all mentioned.

however, i'm wondering if the poster who said silver wont be as "wet" looking as other colors might be correct.

when i put the wax, i would apply thin layers. basically some times you could barely see the white cream or sometimes you could only see fuzziness from an angle. (i hope i did this right, and i hope i put enough.) then i would wait about a min. or so and use a soft cloth to "unwax" the car. was this done correctly? should i wait longer? apply more?

lastly, do i need to do anything after, like add some type of spray or anything immediately AFTER waxing to really get it to shine?

thanks again!

Comment

[i]
            then i would wait about a min. or so and use a soft cloth to "unwax" the car. was this done correctly? should i wait longer? [/B]
            You should wait 10-15 minutes before wiping off, to give the polymers time to start cross linking.
            I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

10-15 minutes!?

Just out of curiousity, where could I find this info. All the wax packages say dont wait too long but they should be more specific.

Maybe thats the reason I wasn't impressed, I waited about 1 - 2 mins at the most.

Sorry to sound to surprised, the only info I really get is from this forum.

Can I re-wax my car tomorrow? Or do I have to wash it and start all over again?

Comment

Originally posted by reemas
                10-15 minutes!?

Just out of curiousity, where could I find this info. All the wax packages say dont wait too long but they should be more specific.

Maybe thats the reason I wasn't impressed, I waited about 1 - 2 mins at the most.

Sorry to sound to surprised, the only info I really get is from this forum.

Can I re-wax my car tomorrow? Or do I have to wash it and start all over again?
                POlymers require time to bond and cross link, 10-15 minutes is about average drying time for the residue. After you remove the residue, the polymers that have bonded to the paint are still curing and cross linking, this process can take 12-48 hours depending on whose product your using. This is why many times a car that has been "waxed" with a polymer product like NXT looks better the day after.
                I want 4" Softbuff pads!

Comment

Im glad you shared that info. I had no idea. I thought 2 mins. was dangerously long. Can I wax again tomorrow for the recommended 10-15 mins?

Comment

A much more accurate method of gauging whether the wax has dried is by using Mike Phillips Swipe Test.

After you've applied the wax and waited atleast 5 minutes, take your clean index finger, and swipe the wax. If it's dry, you'll get a nice clean swipe. The paint will be glossy, the edges will be sharp and defined. There won't be any smear. If you see any of those, you need to let the wax dry longer. Do the test in different areas of the car to ensure that area is dry before wiping it off.

Since you're in the Los Angeles area, I worked on car in Temple City yesterday. It took around 10-15 minutes for the wax to dry at around 6pm. The time makes a difference. As it gets darker the humidity increases and affects drying time.

Richard
                    Richard Lin
                    ShowCarDetailing
                    5548 E. La Palma Ave
                    Anaheim, CA 92807
                    toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

If your car has been left in a garage overnight and is absolutely clean, you can apply a second coat of NXT. If there is a bit of dust on it, use a quick detailer to get it off. If the car is dirty wash it and wax it again. The folks on this forum usually try do two applications of NXT twelve hours apart.

Even though you washed your car and it came straight from the detailer, you might have surface contaminants on the finish. Meguiars has a gentle clay that can be used to get them off.

I suggest that you go ahead with the second coat of NXT today. Then the next tme you wax/detail your new car go over it with clay. Follow this with a good polish or cleaner/wax and then apply NXT -- two applications.

Again, silver simply does not get a "wet look" but it when well cared for it looks darn nice.

Tom

Comment

Thank you everyone for replying. I never had so much great and useful info on waxing before and it completely changes and improved my technique.

I still have a few more questions:

1.) About the applicator pad that came with the Meguiars NXT wax - it isn't soft like cloth, but it shouldn't scratch the car right? I ask because I also bought a extra pack of applicator pads that are "terry covered" sponges designed just for waxing and feel much softer. Does it matter which one I use?

2.) Im a bit confused on the types of cloth. I've heard of microfiber and terry cloths. What should I use to dry my car, after I use a California t-blade?

3.) How should I clean the applicator pads? The wax is hard to remove.

4.) How should I clean the various cloths?

Thanks in advance for my beginner questions!
                        Last edited by reemas; May 29, 2006, 06:21 AM.

Comment

OK here goes. Others may chime in with a different response. This is what I prefer

1.) Use the applicator pad that came with the NXT. It works great. The terry covered applicators are actually a little more aggressive than the foam sponge.

2.) Either 100% cotton terry cloth or microfiber waffle weave towels are what you should use to dry your car. I prefer not to use a blade to dry my vehicles. It's possible to cause scratches if you get something caught in the blade.

3.) I wash the applicator pads by hand using detergent and hot water. I try to squeeze most of the NXT out. I don't get it all. It's pretty "tuff stuff".

4.) Your polishing cloths and towels can be washed in a washing machine. I use a warm wash followed by a cold rinse. I always air dry my towels and polishing cloths. You *cannot* wash microfiber and cotton terry in the same load. The microfiber will pick up tons of cotton lint.

Tom

p.s. Check out this site. It's a great single source on detailing. http://site.bettercarcare.com/topics.php?topicId=17
                          Last edited by tguil; May 29, 2006, 10:24 AM.

Comment

I would also suggest that two thin coats of nxt 12-24 hours apart gives the best coverage and results. I apply my nxt using a ROB, which gives a very thin coat. I then let dry 30-45 minutes- do the entire car at one time. I also noticed that after I applied another coat after washing the following weekend that the results were even more dramatic. I topcoated with Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Schield and buffed using my ROB and a microfiber bonnet....stunning results

max

Comment

Well what I did was wash, claybar, wash and then hit the car with a coat of NXT...looked great. The following day It did look better. And seeing how people liked using 2 coats of NXT I decided I'd try it and damn, It was even darker and wetter looking. It's all in the preparation. Clay baring my car was actually fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');