• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outside 3 weeks, need of claying, safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outside 3 weeks, need of claying, safe?

Hi!

I've detailed my car during the winter and I've had it ouside for almost three weeks now... There has been quite a lot of rains and pollen but I haven't really driven the car, so I was very surprised when I touched the paint yesterday after I washed, there were small bumps on it!

I immediately tried a small area with Quik Clay and yes, it made all the difference! Smooth as a baby's butt! The clay got a yellow-greenish tint to it as well so I guess it's some kind of tree-sap or similar.

Anyway, I am VERY satisfied with the condition of the paint (since I haven't driven the car since winter it's still almost perfect) and I don't want to go over it again with LSP's etc unless I really have to. But I need to get the bumps of the paint!

What is the best way to do that without harming the paint protection (i.e. wax)?

It feels like the clay will in some harm my paint if I go over the whole car?
    On the other hand degreaser will most probably do the same?

What do you recommend?

Kind regards,
    Marcus

Quik Clay is absolutely safe for your paint. The great thing about clay is that it only removes gunk that’s stuck on top of the paint and doesn’t affect the paint itself.

You should apply a new LSP after claying. It’s impossible to say how much the clay affected your old LSP so it’s a good idea to re-apply. Clay’s by far the most gentle way to remove contaminants like the ones you found. Any other method, solvents, cleaners, etc would definitely remove the LSP and some of them will remove some paint too. Heck, the contaminants themselves probably removed the LSP.

PC.

Comment

Ok, thanks!
      Just to start applying LSP's again then!
      I had a hard time deciding last time which one to use, that's my main worry for applying a new layer of LSP - what to use

(I only have 20,26 and tech to choose from and so far I've kept to tech + 26)

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');