• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what products to use on a neglected car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what products to use on a neglected car?

last afternoon my friend washed his car together with me.
    the car is 11 yesrs old,and the owner,his father,seems to never
    take care of the paint.
    i fellow the 5-step paint care cycle in a samll area and then i found
    that it was so dirty. the most noticeable thing is that when i used the clay bar , i had to do back and forth several times to clean.

is any someone can tell me what product should i take if i want to restore some gloss of the car?
    i am just a beginner with car paint care.

i used car wash shampoo , caly,colorX,wax.
    thank you.

Do you have a picture?

ColourX wasn't enough? Did you work it in really really well?

this is what colourX can do

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

if you worked it in really well and it still did not work then i would go with #83 on a W8006 pad with a PC DA, if that still doesn't work then you will have to use a rotary.
    Patrick Yu
    2003 Honda Accord
    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

1. sorry can you tell me what does "work in "mean?
      i really don't understand it very well.
      2. my friend's car is almost in the same situation with the ford Bronco II maybe worse.
      3. after colorX i got the result like the picture of the ford (close to it).
      4. when do i need to wipe off colorX ?

Comment

by working it in I mean rubbing in ColourX for a long time with a good amount of pressure. Work in 2x2 sections at a time.

you will know when to remove ColourX by doing the swipe test.

How to tell when a Meguiar's wax is ready to remove - The Swipe Test
        Patrick Yu
        2003 Honda Accord
        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

i know the test .
          after rubbing in for a long time , ony i can see is thin colorX,right.
          then i wipe it off ?

the foam will get dirty quickly,then i switch anotheror not ?
          clay the entire car will be a lot work.

i will post the picture when we finish.

Comment

Originally posted by FOX
            i know the test .
            after rubbing in for a long time , ony i can see is thin colorX,right.
            then i wipe it off ?

the foam will get dirty quickly,then i switch anotheror not ?
            clay the entire car will be a lot work.

i will post the picture when we finish.
            ColorX is a cleaner wax, so yes you remove it after you "rub it in", also you will get better results using a terry towel, cut in small squares, like in the Bronco II article posted above.

Alex
            Mandarina Racing

Comment

Well, if the paint is super dirty, you may have a lot of dirt to pull out. It could well take more than one application, or another option is switching to Deep Crystal #1 for afew applications to try and get the dirt out of the paint.

And claying can definately take several passes as well on a dirty car.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
                Well, if the paint is super dirty, you may have a lot of dirt to pull out. It could well take more than one application, or another option is switching to Deep Crystal #1 for afew applications to try and get the dirt out of the paint.

And claying can definately take several passes as well on a dirty car.
                you mean replace colorX with Deep Crystal #1.
                i am think about buying #1,#2. but the result will the same?

i found the clay was so dirty like the Bronco II .
                there is no other way to clean the paint quickly?

Comment

Working by hand, not so much. Obvioulsy machine applications could be faster with the right machine, but by hand, you have to go a bit slower.

While ColorX is a great product, I think you might do a bit better with a product that is only a cleaner.

It is also worth mentioning that on extra dirty cars, you may actualy have to clean first, then clay, then clean again.

Just based on your descriptions, I would go over everything with the DC#1 and work it in very well. Try and focus on small areas, and work it in really well, even doing a second application as you go. Then try claying, and see if the clay stays a bit cleaner.

It sounds like you just keep pulling more and more dirt out of the pores, which is a good thing, but you just have to try and get it all out.

What color is the car? Clearcoated?

Comment

my friend's car is clearcoated.
                    i will post the pictures tomorrow.
                    i have not buy a machine yet. i am still confused with the machine.
                    i have read some thread about G-100 and pc but i cannot find it in taiwan.

have to clean first, then clay, then clean again
                    to use the DC#1 to clean it , clay it , then DC#1 again right ?

can i wipe DC#1 in circle motion before i got the machine?

thank you so much

Comment

The G-100 may not be compatible with the power in Taiwan... or maybe it is just hard to find.

For your other question, the thought is that you are just picking up so much dirt, it is loading up the clay before the clay can do anything. Using a cleaner first will hopefully get rid of some of the dirt, so the clay can be more effective.

As far as applying, you can use circles, straight lines, zig-zags, etc.. whatever you need to do to apply in a particular area.

Circles or Straight Lines?

Comment

have to clean first, then clay, then clean again
                        I follow it ,and i am so glad to see what happens.
                        the 1st and 2nd pictures are the results . it was more dull than it is now . i should find some "before" pictures.

and the 3rd and 4th ones are that after toping colorX.

how can i do better?

Last edited by FOX; Jun 25, 2006, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');